1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Need lighting badly...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hello all,

I have a 55g that I am in bad need of lighting for. Currently it has the 2-24in hoods with 18in T-8's. I am wanting to start getting some corals and a few other things but can't until I upgrade my lights. Problem is this economy and the holidays have been brutal to my finances. Does anyone have any idea's or things they have done on a budget that has worked well?

Thanks

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yo still have to buy the bulbs for salt, I did this for a fresh tank and I would assume you can for salt too!

Buy yourself 2-3 2 bulb 48" fluorescent shop lights. Use the ballast and the bulb clip and mount them into a hood that you would make like this one I made: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=929</a>

of course you would use different color lights like 17000K instead of the redder lights that I am using but that is how I did it.

3. mstrpln03

mstrpln03 New Member

I am retro-fitting some old hoods for screw in compact flourescent daylight bulbs you can get in home depot, cut and paste this link:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100527338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100527338</a>

They are 6700k and have 10,000 hour burn times and the 23 watters are only $4.50. You'll still need some actinics, 6 of the 23 watt cfl's and 2 40 watt t-8's (2 56 watt t-5 vho's would be better) would suffice for soft corals and a few hard corals.

Have you looked on ebay, a 4x65 watt power compact can be had pretty cheap, just don't get the "Oddysea".

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Gotta be careful with those 6700 bulbs. After running for a while the rating will drop and do nothing more than grow algae.

5. mstrpln03

mstrpln03 New Member

Hey Anthony,

I haven't used them yet, but have been researching them. Do you think color spectrum will drop much faster then a t-8?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The bulbs from the link you provided, yes. They won't have much useful life. I saw someone else recently added 4 of those to their tank, in shop light type fixtures... They got a hair algae outbreak not long after adding them.

Especially with saltwater, I wouldn't recommend a 6700k bulb.

7. showjyr

showjyr New Member