1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

new 10 gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Leslie, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I really like whats becoming of it :)

2. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

today, i think im moving the other fish into the 10 gal

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

any new photos of the setup Leslie?
    How's it doing?

4. Leslie

no new pics. half the plants got sucked up. only think that rootd fast enought was the star grass. the otheres are all tangled on the driftwood. but i took some slate4 well what i think is slate from a creek in the mountians. there were snails in the water all over. i have to wash it and everything. thought abiout snatching some minnows from there to, but i didnt. trying to figure a way to move it around ti make it look better. right now stuff is just placed in it.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you do have quite an assortment in the signature!

do the obvious...tall in back..medium in middle and short in front.

once you get them seperated to that point then spread them out in layers.

from what you have in the signature i'd do:
    Mix STARGRASS & LUDWIGIA in the back of your tank by spreading it evenly across the back of tank (keep the intake free from plants) AND leave a/the corner/corners open-THe open corner/corners plant your MONEYWORT & ANACHARIS.

ROTALA looks good in bunches (I'd do these in a bunch near the middle of the tank towards either the right or left side) and then on the opposite side put the BANANA PLANT.

the SWORD i'd place in the middle (most swords will spread out and get quite large)...use it for your centerpiece.

The lily, not familar with...so you'd have to stick it where you have a space left.

the JAVA MOSS I'd tie to the driftwood with fishing string and dependant on size/shape stick it towards the front of your glass.

6. Leslie

placement isnt the problem. getting them to stay is. thatfreaken filter sucks stuff up outta the gravel

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like you need more substrate or to use plant plugs and the baskets.
    I've used rubber plant rings that work well also, but for the life of me can't remember where I got them from!

8. Leslie

maybe ill add more gravel

9. Leslie

here are some new pictures. the ball of moss under the wood is what i've got forsale. its a solid golfball [bfish] [nemo]
    10gal06-24.jpg 10gal2.jpg 10gal3.jpg

10. Leslie

i lost a fish. think it was from the moss taking over. anyways. here are some pictures. everyone is fixing to find a new home in a 20 gal! i am thinking of getting a smaller filter so i can add my free shrimp. wanted to put them with the betta but was told no.

i have kinda been lazy and didnt really take care of my tank.

i have been looking at driftwood also
    ful10.jpg fulh10.jpg

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, I'm really amazed at how dark your moss got in comparance to the earlier photos!
    And if you have enough hiding places you could TRY to put the shrimp in with the betta...but yep, the betta could think of it as a tasty "brine-like" meal. Moreso depends on the individual betta.

12. Leslie

that betta attacted my platies that i keep with it for a day. he was mean to them.

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Back in the 70s I bred betta and they have different peronalities. Some are very aggressive, some have bouts of aggression but all have a tendency to be aggressive.

PS Leslie your tank looks great, Keep it up girl.

14. Leslie

I plain on add more driftwood to it. and more rocks. i want to some how make a tree in it. i need a smaller filter or just upgrade to a 30 gal tank. havnt decided.

15. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I just finished cycling my 29 gal. Bought entire set up for $40 off craiglist. As soon as I get pics resized I'll put them up. 1st tank in over 25 years boy alot has changed since then.

A tree sounds wonderful, a piece of driftwood siliconed to a piece of slate and plants or moss attached with thread. Ideas I've got alot just don't have the cash to fulfil them LOL I just bought to huge pieces of driftwood 18" x14" each for $10. Only one fit in tank the other is now a floor decoration next to the tank.

16. Leslie

i have some many ideas too. but not enought money to fulfil them either. i have had this tank for a while. working on getting my 55 gal to my house from my exs. that thank i bought for 20$$ and it came with a stand

17. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have even made caves with silicone and gravel mixed together and shaped they are alittle more natural looking than the ones you buy. Costs only cents to make And can be whatever size or shape that fits your tank.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you want a smaller filter go with the Red Sea Deco Art Nano filter. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petco.com/product/12148/Red-Sea-Deco-Art-Nano-Filter.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petco.com/product/12148/Red- ... SiteSearch</a>
    if your looking for betta tankmates...we have a pair of orange killifish & 2 kerri tetras in with ours and so far so good!

I have an aqueon 20 hob filter on the 10g with a fluval edge prefilter sponge over the intake & it's working out perfectly. <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4191&p=56433&hilit=2.5#p56433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4191&p=56433&hilit=2.5#p56433</a>

19. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

My avatar is one of my home made caves

20. Leslie

I am trying to head to the lake to look for rocks. would much reather havefree ones instead of buying some