1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New 4g nano tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by GOT MTS?, Feb 24, 2009.

1. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Thread Starter Member

Finally I have 1 tank up and running. I moved a few months ago and basically sold every piece of aquarium equip I had. :cry: The only thing I got to keep was my co2 regulator and 3-way manifold.

I got this tank for my birthday. [dancing] It is a 4 gallon tank with a 13 watt PC light. It has a palm filter and DIY co2 at about 15 bubbles a minute.

Right now it only has a few pieces of java fern and 2 small pieces of anubias petite. You can't really see the anubias in the picture because right now I'm just letting it float around. I am planning on changing the substrate because I don't think it goes well with the piece of quarts I have in there. I want to give my plants a little longer to adjust before I do any changes.

I am planning on keeping crystal red shrimp in it. I will post more pictures as the stuff grows in and I make changes.
    nano tank.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: New nano tank

Looks good. Do you plan on using any grassy plants ?

3. GOT MTS?

Actually I am planing on using the flame moss I posted in the trading post section.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

with crystal red shrimp that would be great! Star moss would be good with them too on some driftwood. Would love to see picts! I wanted to do the crystal shrimp but heard they were super hard to keep?

5. GOT MTS?

I just now noticed I said crystal red shrimp I meant to say cherry red shrimp. I have never kept CRS so I can't say how difficult they are. I know that the addition of iodine is supposed to be good for shrimp. Also it is good to have a source of calcium for them. I will buy my cherry shrimp when it gets warmer. I love cherry reds. I had them in my 55 gallon a few years ago.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have cherry red shrimp, want to get some yellow ones when the weather warms up.
    I get mine off this guy I came across on ebay (he sells on aquabid too)...he sells me the cherry shrimp for $1 each and ships for free. My lfs wants almost $5 for one that is 3/4" ...Talk about over priced!

7. GOT MTS?

Last time I got mine on eBay. Whats this guys seller name?

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Not sure if he gives everyone the same prices? He sells under the name of Pluribus18 and I can't remember the name he goes under on aquabid (but I did notice his prices are higher than what he sells to me for).

9. GOT MTS?

Well Dang girl hook me up :D

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

What are you looking for? I know he deals in the cherry shrimp and bristlenose plecos...not sure if he got anything else in lately (last time I talked with him was like a month ago).
    He takes Paypal, pm me and we'll see what can be done.

11. GOT MTS?

Thanks Dawn. I'll PM you when I get my aquarium ready for them, unless I find some cheap on eBay.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

O your welcome.
    I have to say though, that I never saw them for under $1 a piece with free shipping included...that's why I keep going back to him.

13. GOT MTS?

How is the color on the ones he got. I want very bright red ones.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

they are really bright. Of course it doesn't matter because they will arrive dull in color from the stress...but once in the proper water chemistry will achieve their proper bright red color.

15. GOT MTS?

I decided not to go with the java fern. I tore down the tank and turned it around so that the curved edges are in the back. It created an annoying prism effect from where I sit. I then changed the background to cover 3 sides. I changed out the substrate to sand.

I have ordered some anubias lancalot for the background and I am growing out a flame moss mat to use in the foreground.

I am also debating weather or not to to buy a more powerful light and do HC and blyxa as my foreground and background plants instead of the above listed plants. If I go this route I will have to change the substrate again.

Below is a picture of my new hard scape
    DSCF0006.JPG

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Nice rocks... they look like little mountains...
    :)

You can put the white sand between the 2 or blue sand and imitate a rivet :)

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

So no more Anubias ?

18. LemonDiscus

I think Anubias would look great tucked into the rock a bit! :cool: And like I said... the Anubias with a "Stream" :)

19. GOT MTS?

The anubias is in the mail. I will decide after I get it what I am going to do.

20. LemonDiscus

Do the fake stream in sand :) It screams it wants it!