1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

new 55 g setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by angelLuver, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know what your talking about (the strainer for deep frying)...glad to hear they allowed you to return it!

So what are you replacing it with? Or are you going with bare bottom?

2. angelLuver

angelLuver Thread Starter New Member

i did leave a tiny bit in the bottom.but i went with just pain old black gravel over the sand..thinking the gravel will hold the sand down... WRONG ! i have a thin film of sand on everything!!! looks like i will be taking out all the gravel and sand today.going to rinse the heck out of it and then put only the gravel back in.sond like a fun thing to do befoe i work all night 8 pm -8 am !!!

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh my, definately not sounding like fun!
    Ps. If you have corydoras they'll do better in a sand like caribsea tahitian moon or something similar. Mine did well with the eco-complete..but now that the sand is in there I see they definately PREFER the sand!

4. angelLuver

i just went with plain old black gravel..but it looks nice..i also put in some cycle..to help get it going..and a few plants.. i still need to buy a light..the set up i got from craigs list is missing one..off to a rough start with the 55 g !!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

try ebay (standard 48") or bigalsonline, petsolutions, drsfoster and smith..those are the ones who usually have good deals (or can even google shopping and sort by price lowest first).

Wish ya lived closer...I have two extra 48" 260watt ones, but the shipping would probably cost ya a fortune.

6. angelLuver

thanks dawn,i will !!