1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself New Build for this guy

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Mar 24, 2011.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

ai54.tinypic.com_33m6i2q.jpg
    ai55.tinypic.com_1z4i9go.jpg
    ai55.tinypic.com_35d2e7b.jpg

75g from Ebay locally for $75 bucks

ai54.tinypic.com_2yo8tb5.jpg
    ai52.tinypic.com_vd1szl.jpg

Stand I am going to replicate, going to build a two piece unit, the canopy will be piece #2 and It will be a floating canopy housing 4x48" 226w total 6700K T5ho's and some LED's and fans.

Picking up the tank saturday morning, thread will be updated with progress.

Thanks for looking.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

so anxious to see this complete! Especially the decision on the background color (don't forget to snap photos of the ones tested if multiples are attempted). lol!

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

I will, wont be a decision for a while, I gotta make sure its what I want, as I gotta make sure greens,reds,purples,blues,platinums,all my fish POP against it and none get washed out. Kinda worried about my bolivian rams with this too.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know with the black backgrounds and black substrate my rams looked awesome, but now with the addition of discus and lighter backgrounds they appear more washed out (just warning ya).
    Photo shown here of them to give you a better idea--> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9 ... =548002221

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yeah I had the white sand in my bowfront before, you can see how it washed out the colored fish that were tones close to the sand color tones. Its part of the reason I am going with the BBB, it doesnt effect the fish at all, they color up better, Ill forward you pics of Jeff's tank that has it in there. Its quite nice.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

thanks! I'd love to see it.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

Scrapped for now, will get the paint tomorrow or sunday, gonna be something the wife has to agree with and I found a sprayer gun that uses compressed air to apply wall paint..... and dutch boy has some pretty sweet shades of blue.

Anyways, 75g is still empty and on the floor. I picked up a paid of small GBR's on tuesday on credit for 4 dead tetras. Last night they were playing tag, and again today........ tonight went to feed em the blackworms(2nd time in their lives, last night was the first) and they put down eggs INSIDE the drop box thats sunk to the bottom holding biomax from the aqua clears.
    ai52.tinypic.com_280iqvc.jpg
    ai52.tinypic.com_2cys38m.jpg

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, talk about good luck!
    when you get overrun send some my way!

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

LOL right! I mean I just got em tuesday they were cornered by a pair of kribs(petsmart of all places) so I kinda said......give me them rams and then (mind you im buddies with these guys) chewed em out for putting kribs in with rams.... Needless to say I got UBER lucky this week, new tank, new everything now new babies.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can't sex them, but know I need one of the other sex for mine to breed. I think mine are all females and the male I initially had was the one that had all the color (and passed away).

But then again, even if I were to get them to breed someone would eat their eggs!