1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

new tank decoration giving off odor while rinsing it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Smelly tank decorations?
    Here's hoping this is the right section and the right folks to ask!

I just bought a new tank decoration (plastic, medium sized) at PetCo. It seemed okay, just your average plastic rock formation. But when I got it home and started washing it off, it started to stink of acetone/paint/something gross. Is there any way to get rid of this smell and the toxins that are probably on this decoration, or should I start using it as a paperweight?

It would go into a tank containing clawed frogs, if that makes a difference.

2. Jake

Jake Administrator

if i were you id return it and buy something natural ie rock
    if there is a strong smell coming from it id think it would leach something into the water

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah I agree.

What did you wash it with?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Just really hot water - I don't normally use soap or anything.

I think I will end up having to return it - rock sounds good, and I have a wood decoration in now that hasn't given me problems. Gotta go get some more food supplies anyways.

Thanks for the input, guys. I always like to make sure I'm not endangering the gals.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yon can never go wrong with rocks :D

6. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Can't be good. I have a plastic log cave that the kids picked out for the fish in our tank. Kind of ugly but the tetras love to hide in it. Has silk plants attatched to it that are already getting yucky looking. It never smelled bad though, that would worry me. No doubt the smell would dissipate over time, after whatever noxious stuff in it has leached into your water.

I vote for some nice driftwood with star moss growing on it .... at least that's the replacement plan for my plastic lump! Or gather some bits of slate and glue them together to create your own rock formation.

7. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

well if it stink by just washing it off just imagine what it would smell like just sitting in water.
    Then again just wonder what it would do to the water.
    I'll quote a good friends advice
    "Take care of your water and the fish will take care of themselves"

8. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

That's a scary thought. I say return it too

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My Pond fills with Allege really fast so its a pain to clean. The falls usually churn the water so it doesnt set as quickly. I have to clean the pond almost every day.