1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New tank setup- dying fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by crayondragon, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crayondragon

crayondragon Thread Starter New Member

My husband purchased a 10 gallon tank for my birthday. We had a small set up with some gold fish, which inexperienced I had found out was way too many for the small tank that I had. So we placed 7 gold fish in my 10 gallon tank along with 4 guppies. For a few days, all the fish were doing fine. Then all of a sudden the water got VERY cloudy and 2 of the guppies died within days. I spoke with a local pet shop and they recommended that I get rid of the goldfish because goldfish and guppies cannot go together because goldfish are cold water and guppies are warm water (all part of the learning process). I have a friend with a tank that she just set up and she was going to buy some fish to go in it... Great opportunity, I gave her my fish. My other 2 guppies have died so I purchased 2 more. I have a male and female guppy in this tank and they have been there for about a week now. The water was still pretty cloudy. My local pet shop told me to take a Dixie cup full of water (since I had already done a 50% water change against my better judgment) out every day for a week to see if that would resolve the ammonia buildup which he had found when he tested. My water seems to be getting clearer! I just wanted to see if this sounds like a normal solution to anyone?

Thanks!
    Crayondragon

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well luckily they did give you pretty accurate information. I would suggest going to the store and buying some Seachem Prime ASAP. This should be added to your tank each time you put new water in there. You can also use it now while your tank is cycling to detoxify the ammonia from the water.

You do have a filter on the tank, correct ?

3. crayondragon

Yes I do have a filter on the tank along with a small bubble stone. I live in a rather small town and really the only source of supplies i have is going to wal-mart. Is there anything that might be there that is equivalent to the "Seachem Prime"?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sometimes they carry Seachem Prime. If not then look at their water dechlorinators and look for one that says it removes or detoxifies ammonia and/or nitrites. They should also remove chlorine along with that.

5. crayondragon

So chlorine is a bad thing? I heard one of the pet shops here tell someone that they need chlorine to protect their skin.

What I currently have is:

jungle (start right)
    Complete water conditioner removes chlorine & chloramine

AquaSafe (Terta Aqua)
    Neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals harmful to fish

Ammonia Remover (TopFin)
    Neutralizes harmful ammonia, chlorine and cloramine

Do any of these sound adequate enough? I just don't want to put something in with them that might hurt them.

Thanks!
    Crayondragon

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Woah, no there should be no chlorine in your tank at all, ever. All those are fine to use in the tank. AquaSafe is a good product so make sure you use that EVERY time you put new water into the tank. I would go ahead and remove about 2 gallons of water from the tank and replace it with fresh water treated with the AquaSafe and Ammonia Remover.

7. crayondragon

So both of them together wouldn't be harmful to the fish in just a 10 gal tank?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nope, as long as you follow the directions and add only the amount for 10 gallons.

9. crayondragon

Great! Thanks! I'll try it and let you know! :D

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you have any other problems let us know.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

also, do you have a heater "set" on this tank?
    And if so, what are you maintaining it at and how are you verifying your temperature (ie stick on thermometer, digital that goes into the actual water, or just going by what you set the dial at on the actual thermometer)?

Your also going to want to have a test kit handy for when things are amiss. I highly recommend one from Bigals.

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

is the tank cycled?

13. crayondragon

Thank you for the link for the test kit! It's a great price and much easier than going to the local fish store to test my water! Much thanks!

As far as the heater, we have 2 Thermometers. The one that came with the tank that sticks to the side and reads by heat, and we also have a stick thermometer that sticks to the inside of the tank and reads like a regular thermometer. We keep the temp at about 76-79. I was told that it's a good heat for guppies.

I don't know what "Is your Tank cycled means". I am new at this! And at this point I'm just trying to keep them alive. lol

Thank you!
    Christy
    (Crayondragon)

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When a tank is "cycled" it means that your tank has produced beneficial bacteria that eats ammonia that the fish produce and converts to that less harmless nitrates. With the tank only running for about a week it's not cycled, which is why your water has ammonia in it.

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

im assuming you just bought the fish and tossed them in huh?

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

17. crayondragon

We've had the tank since June 4th. We set it up on that day. And to answer steve's question... Yes. I just bought the tank, set it up and put the fish in. I would have never imagined that all of this chemistry would have came along with it. I should have done research yes... But I didn't... Label me moron. lol

I didn't do the 20% water change but I did add the treatments. And I still have been replacing 4 oz's of water every day. I woke up this morning and the water looks crystal clear! Now I have to go buy an ammonia kit so I can test the water. When I took my water to the fish store yesterday before I added the treatments the ammonia in my tank was 1.0. She said that my Ph was a little high so I could afford to take half the water out and replace it. But with the water looking as good as it does would that be necessary?

I will test my water and let you all know I appreciate your sincere help and I'm sorry for LONG posts. lol

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea your not a moron every one does that when they first start even now when i set up a new tank i just take a filter off a running tank and some old water and it's like it's cycled!

19. crayondragon

That's a really good idea, I think I read something like from one of anthony's posts. I am hoping that the treatments did some good. The water is really very clear. The lady at our pet store also suggested that I only feed them once a day every other day until the ammonia issue is cleared up.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Do you remember what your pH was ? Replacing the water won't change that because your tank water came from your tap. The only way to lower it is to add peat moss to the filter, add some driftwood to the tank or use an additive to lower it. Unless your pH is truly a problem don't worry about lowering it.