1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New tank setup- dying fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by crayondragon, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crayondragon

crayondragon Thread Starter New Member

I don't remember what the PH was. I know that she told me that it was high but it wasn't a big deal because it wasn't too high. But My tank today is so crystal clear and there's no floaters in the tank! I had some murk floating around. I just wish I could have found an ammonia test kit at my local wal-mart! I will be buying the kit that Dawn gave me the link to as soon as I can. I will probably take the water to the local fish store tomorrow to have them test it once more! :) I will keep you all updated! :D

By the way, are there any sites with nice tank backgrounds that I could go to? :)

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Sounds like your on the right track! I was reading through this thread and saw you were using aquasafe. That's not a bad dechlorinator. You should be fine with that if you can't find prime at wal mart.

3. crayondragon

I have a small ammonia tester on the side of our tank and I thought it didn't work. I think I was wrong. because when I looked at it today it is a lot lighter than it previously was. I believe when my husband gets home today I'll do a 20% water change. :) Hopefully that will fully solve the problem. I don't want my beautiful little guppies to die! :-S.

I'll let you know again when I've gotten the water tested! Thank you Jrow!

4. crayondragon

Just got back from the local petstore and I am baffled. They tested my water and my PH is still somewhat high... my Ammonia is actually 4 times what it was on Saturday. My fish are doing good so I just don't understand it.

I came home and immediately took out 50% of the water and then added my aquasafe. I didn't add the ammonia blocker per her instruction. And she also gave me a whole bag full of some bacteria from one of her filters so I could add it to my tank. I am hoping that will help!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Depends on what your looking for,,Black hides most all of the equipment that hangs inside the tank.

Diy would be the ?styrofoam ones that look like rocks, I've even seen ones online that used gutter with holes for cichlids. ((Google is a great place, example diy aquarium background))

Other "unique" items that can be used would be a showercurtain, showerboard/melamine board, wall paper, a laminated poster/picture, etc.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

This came from the pet store. :eek: I wouldn't add water or media into my tank from ANY pet store. Too many parasites can get into your tank.

7. crayondragon

I've already added it to my water! :eek: Oh no! :( I'm getting so frustrated now! :( I just re-tested my water and the ammonia at a 2.0-3.0. I bought an ammonia tester at pet smart. I also got some prime. I just added it to the water. When should I re-test?

While we were there we bought some plants and some small figurines to go into the tank. Do you think it would harm anything if I put them in? I just don't want to mess anything up. We've spent a lot of money as it is.

Lost-
    Crayondragon

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's too late now so don't worry about it. If anything pops up we'll deal with it then. :D

I assume you followed the directions and added 5ml to your 10 gallon tank (I think it's 5ml per the directions) ? If so add another 5ml more. It's safe to dose up to 5 times the normal amount. After you do that wait about a minute or two and test your ammonia, it should be down.

You can go ahead and add them, they won't cause any harm.

9. crayondragon

It says 2 drops per gallon. I added 20. So I should add another 20?

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep yep then test your water after a minute or two.

11. crayondragon

It's still at about a 2.0.

Do you think the ammonia reducer could be giving it a false reading?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The ammonia reducing tablets ? No.

The ammonia test you got, is it a liquid test kit or did you get strips ?

13. crayondragon

It is a liquid test kit by API. Just tested again, It appears to be between a 1.0 and a 2.0. I have added 3 doses of Prime. Should I add more?? or wait till morning??

14. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I wouldnt overdose it. When your do your water changes are you cleaning your gravel too?

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can dose up to 5x at a time but I wouldn't do any more at this point. Just leave it until tomorrow and do another water change of about 1-2 gallons. When you do that add 10 drops of prime.

jrow, the tank hasn't completed it's cycling process yet which is why there's an ammonia problem.

16. crayondragon

Sounds good! When I put my new ornies in the tank I did notice massive amount of debris coming from the bottom. I believe I overfed them in the beginning process. It might have something to do with the goldfish that was in there originally. So far the 2 guppies look okay. They don't appear to be sick or dying. I hope they can bear through!

Picture of tank with new figures:

pictures of myy fish tank / aquarium

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Goldfish are very messy and overfeeding will definitely add to the ammonia problem so try your best not to do that. ;)

18. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

With the Goldfish that were in there I'm sure the gravel got pretty messy too. That would definitely contribute to the Ammonia problem. Especially with as many as she had in there. Wouldn't that help?

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh also I don't know if I mentioned this or not but don't clean your filter until your tank is cycled. After it's cycled you can clean it in old tank water, don't wash it under the tap because chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria.

20. crayondragon

Couldn't I also just get a new filter to replace the existing one when the tank is cycled? It does say to replace every 2-4 weeks.