1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New tank setup- dying fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by crayondragon, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crayondragon

crayondragon Thread Starter New Member

It's only been 8 days.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's fine.
    You're past due for a water change.

3. crayondragon

Then Should I do a 25% or a 50% water change? and how many drops of prime would you recommend? I'm going to have to do it ASAP

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I think you should keep doing 25% every week maybe this time a little more like 30-35

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I agree. Use the prime according to the directions for 10 gallons of water (10 drops I think).

6. crayondragon

Prime is 2 drops per each gallon. I changed 35% of the water and put 7-10 drops in... my fish actually are swimming around now instead of hovering at the top. I hope that takes care of the problem. I'll have to make a little calendar so I know when to change it next. They seem to be doing better. I hope that's all that it was is the fact that the water needed changed. Going to test my ammonia levels again then I will try to take my water to the fish store to have it tested asap.

7. crayondragon

Just tested my ammonia and the water is as yellow as can be! I think it's finally to a 0. I'm going to take some more water and have it tested right now on my way to the store.

8. crayondragon

Just got back from the fish store. My numbers are as follows:

ph: 7.6
    Nitrates: 2.0
    Ammonia: 0-.25

Then there was another tube that was pale blue. I don't know what that one was. I failed to ask. Any idea?

Thanks-
    Christy

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Probably nitries which will go away around the same time the ammonia does.

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Agreed, NitrItes NitrAte Ammonia and pH are prolly the most improtant, you gotta check them at least.

As fot the water change you should do it every certain day a week, for example my water cgabge day is on sunday. I'll do both my tanks then.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I do mine every thursday, being I was told extra chemicals are added over the weekend.
    Also, be sure to add a dechlorinator such as PRIME everytime you add water to the tank (per bottles instructions of course).

Once you get the tank cycled you won't need to test as frequently for the baddies such as Ammonia.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have a little fish calender with my tank maintenance and plant dosing schedule on it. :)

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, I mark it on my reg calendar
    Notes when plants are "dosed" and "partial" and "filter" for when they are mainten.
    In addt to when the "chin" cages were done.
    HaHa!

14. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

:) I only have an agenda. wich broke the first week of school. Now I gotta wait till next schoolyear starts and I can note it :)

I just know by my head when I wake up on sundays. Its waterchangeday!

15. crayondragon

I think I'll get a cheap calendar and keep it in my computer room. Thanks for the help on that...

I came back from an overnight stay with my parents. Both of my 2 remaining guppies are dead. I'm not buying anymore fish until I can get this figured out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!!! :( Can my tank cycle without fish in it?

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you put ammonia in the tank, yes. It's called "fishless cycling". Here's a link that should explain it and the CALC at the top of the page will tell you how much ammonia to use in your tank.
    Fishless Cycle Your Tank / Nitrogen Cycle

17. crayondragon

I have to say I'm still a bit confused by all that. I read the entire thing. I don't have anything that I can get from an existing tank. I don't have a way to test for nitrates, nitrites, ph every day. I don't think that I have good bacteria built up in my tank. How can I start from where the fish left off? I guess I should just give up right?

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nah, you just need a freshwater master test kit and to add a product such as Tetra Safe Start...and of course a dechlorinator such as prime EVERYTIME you add water to the tank. Also A siphon would prove most helpful to you (pythons no spill clean n fill are great imo).

Don't stress, we've all been there at one point or another.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Don't give up. We've all lost a fish or two before.

20. crayondragon

I will probably go buy a few goldfish and take them back when my tank is cycled.