1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New Tank Syndrome Quick Remedy

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 21, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Upon taking the 90g apart to put a new background on and change various things up a bit, I like, just about everyone else faced the dreaded NEW TANK SYNDROME.

Despite using Tetra SafeStart, reusing some of the existing tank water from before the breakdown and even squeezing a matured sponge filter into the tank I ended up with murky/hazy looking water that was literally driving me nuts to look at.

Now having tanks and knowing a fair bit about cycling and what not I knew the issue at hand was new tank syndrome which I define as a newly setup tank that's experiencing a bacterial bloom which is part of the tank trying to establish itself biologically with "good" bacteria that will consume the "baddies".

[*]DAY 1:
    I tested the water to find out if something was a-miss with a liquid freshwater test kit (API).
    Nothing was revealed there, everything tested within the norm/safe zone.

[*]DAY 2
    I attempted a partial of approximately 35%...which did nothing for the hazy appearance so shortly afterwards I added my brand new Emperor 400 hang on back filter adding both new mfr. cartridges, 1 plastic cartridge that I filled to the brim with Seachem Matrix (far exceeding the recommended usage amount for my tank size), and 1 severely overfilled bag of Purigen. Still no improvement.

[*]DAY 3
    In the morning I noticed two small patches of brown diatoms on the tanks side walls and on both of my xp4 prefilters. Not wanting to "rinse" my prefilters I simply used my Tom cleaning tool and wiped down the inside tank walls and left the prefilters be. I then proceeded to do a major partial of approximately 75% and double dosed the tank with Seachem Prime. Again, no improvement. Ugh!
    At this point I vow to head to the lfs tomorrow evening if the tank still looks hazy the next morning.

[*]DAY 4
    Tanks still hazy as ever, and I'm not patient enough to "wait it out". Off to Petsmart to find something that will speed things up a bit. I come home with a 8.5oz bottle of Seachem Clarity & a 4oz. bottle of Nutrafin Bio-Clear (I really wanted a bottle of Seachem Stability, but it appears they are no longer carrying it). I read both bottles and find that it's okay to dose with 3x's the normal amount of Clarity for extremely hazy water (which mine definately fits that bill).
    By the time I get home my lights are already off and the Lunars are on and I decide to dose it now so hopefully it will be clear by morning when the daytime lights kick on.

-> I dose with 3x's the normal amount of Seachem Clarity, and the recommended dose of the Nutrafin cycle. Less than 2 hours later I look over at my tank and realize I can actually SEE the background details. I head straight up to the glass and realize the tank is now crystal clear and I can clearly SEE everything inside the tank. Inside I'm hollering Yes! Yes! My tank, looks like a fish tank and not a haze! Woo Hoo!

:rolleyes: My fingers are crossed that it will remain crystal clear, but if by some chance it doesn't then I know what I can safely use until it establishes itself (in addition to advance planning to buy FritzZyme & add a mesh bag of a bit of my 20gL substrate to get things going).

2cents Just thought I'd share in case others are aggrovated by the haze too and looking for a quick fix to tide them over until the tank becomes successfully established.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

[*]DAY 5:
    Upon waking up this morning I found the tank crystal clear with glass-like water quality...simply amazing!

My sponge prefilters, heater, and rena attachments that sat in the water all needed "rinsed" off due to being covered in a orangish/brownish substance that appeared to look similar to diatoms...but it easily wiped off.

And here are the BEFORE and AFTER tank shots to prove it.

BEFORE:
    View attachment ai53.tinypic.com_6qjeoi.jpg
    With larger picture being able to be seen here--> 90 Gallon Planted Discus Community Fish Tank

AFTER using Bio-Clear & 3x's the Clarity:
    ai56.tinypic.com_2nir9mx.jpg

sidenote-->