1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New tank!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by san_sam, Apr 18, 2010.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

There is no reason why it will not work, but we have no equivalent to it here in the USA. It's not a filter that is seem here very often and when you do see it most of the time it is on a smaller set-up It may turn out to be a great filter. You may wish to consider something like this http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=239 these can work very well

Rick

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I like the one Rick reccomended. You can easily change filter media according to the water conditions. I use a similar system on 5 of the 6 tanks I own.

3. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

Hey guys I am getting the filter one that Rick recommended :) Will be getting the filter,heater and all the stuff today and start setting it up this weekend.. :D

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Good for you

Rick

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

keep us updated!

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Wonderful news! send pics if you can.

7. san_sam

Hey guys.. Slight change in the filter plan.. This filter <a class="postlink" href="http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleS ... icleID=239</a> can't fit my tank since I have the top to cover it seems.. So the guy from the shop asked me to go with this one.. http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=233 because he has only this upper filter model.. The one that he is saying is 300Litres/hr...I don't know the gallon conversion.. Shall I get that one or <a class="postlink" href="http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleS ... icleID=235</a> this? This is 700Litres/Hr

8. san_sam

Pls reply guys ASAP...

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Well 300l would be for a 65 gal or less the 700l would be for 150 gal or less. If your tank is a 45 gal the 300L should be fine but you can use the 700L with goldfish

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agreed, go with the highest gph (gallon per hour) filter you can find that you can fit in/on your tank being your going with hob (hang on back filter or intank filter)...even if it's too powerful you can also prefilter the intake ;)

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Looks like he's using the hood filter not a hang on back. 700L should be fine.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh, I had a eclipse hood filter once..worked pretty good and had the spinning bio-wheel.
    The only bad thing was you couldn't do much with it media wise..but I understand when he's limited to what he can get where he's at and about the pricing also being an issue.

13. san_sam

Thank u so much guys.. Yeah it is the hood filter... The water current wouldn't make the fishes to move around with difficulty with the 700L/H thing right.. I wish I had so much money I would have got a cannister.. Is there a possibility in using a hang on filter with the hood of the tank being there...

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Depends on the hood, some of them come with a "tear away" section that allows you to place items such as heaters and hang on back filters...others leave no room behind the light for anything (which is usually your typical ones that have the filter built into them)..you'd have to see on the particular one you are getting.

It's much easier with the larger tanks..small tanks such as 5 gallons or less are definately more difficult when it comes to filtration (besides nano filters or simply a sponge filter ran off an airline)...with your 45g breeder I'm amazed you found a canopy with built in filter...here in the states you don't generally see anything like that unless it's a special order/custom.

15. san_sam

My hood has a space for keeping the upper filter.. I guess It is spacious enough :D Thank u so much Dawn.. I still have to get the gravels tommorow.. That is all.. If that is done the weekend is going to be all tank setting up weekend.. I start a thread and update the progress.. :D

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds Great!
    ps. to save money on the gravel most use play sand (must be silica free) or pool filter sand, pea gravel is also a cheap option...not sure what you have available to you where you are though :)

17. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

how many and what kind of goldfish are you planning on getting? i did some conversions:
    your tank is 45g/170l the filter you got/or getting has a flow rate of 185gph/700lph, that will turn your total tank volume over 4 times an hour. in my honest opinion, you'll want to turn over the tank volume at least 10 times an hour, so the total filtration should be at least 1700lph/450gph. i know that you stated that you are doing this on your own and that money is tight, then i would suggest that you might have to do water changes/gravel vacs more often.

18. san_sam

Thank u Buzz. As of now I have 1 comet,1 black moor,2 fantails. I am planning on getting a pair of lion heads and a pair of oranda.. :D Yeah I know the efficiency of this filter is not astounding :( but I didn't have any other go.. I have put all my money on buying the stuff.. I would need to do the water change once in a month right? I have bought a gravel vaccum.. :D

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

once a month, try more like once a week on the siphoning/water changes and roughly about 30%.

20. san_sam

Sure Dawn.. I have a huge trouble fitting my filter now.. I have posted the picture in the general sub-forum.. Can u pls hel me.. :) P.s. It has been moved to equipments --> Filters