1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Newbie looking for help!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by luckylouse, Jan 31, 2009.

1. luckylouse

luckylouse Thread Starter New Member

I'm looking to get into a SW tank and was hoping to get some advice.

I started looking at the 29 Nano cube but now I'm thinking of changing my mind after seeing some of tank on this site. I heard it was easier to start off bigger and makes sense if you can afford it. Maybe up to 75Gallons. My wife and I want a very bright scene and a nice reef. More color the better. I'm looking for quality. I'm starting from scratch so I'll be posting pictures as I go along. I understand this will be a very long endaevor and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Have you guys heard of the Red Sea Max 130D. I was thinking of going that route if I can find one in Ontario Canada! The Max 250 looks sweet but it's steep on the price.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Bigger tanks offer more stability as far as water quality goes. In that respect it's much better to have a larger tank. With the (I think you mean) biocube you are pretty limited as far as corals go especially without the lighting upgrade (assuming you didn't purchase it preinstalled).

I've never heard of the 130D but I have the 250 which is a very amazing tank. Had it been out when I started my tank I would have definitely went that route.

3. luckylouse

You have the 250? Nice! If you don't mind me asking what is the cost?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No, if the 250 were out when I started my saltwater tank I would have purchased it. If I remember correctly it's about 1500.00+-.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as far as bigger is better...that is absolutely true. The more water the more room you have for minor mistakes without most of them turning out to be tragedies. Also, larger volumes of water are easier to keep stable.
    IF your looking to start out the right way and dont have a ton of $...because believe me it gets expensive fast...I'd recommend buying bits and pieces of good quality equipment (with focus being on a good filter that's easy to maintain and a high quality skimmer...and I'd honestly look into a sump if your planning on starting large).
    Good Luck! If your truly dedicated and ready for some days when you ask yourself why did you take the leap in the first darn place...then it will be worth it when you can sit next to the tank and just enjoy watching the gorgeous colors/variety of saltwater specimens :)

6. luckylouse

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking now of the Rad Sea 130D. Looks pretty good and the lighting system looks really good. I figured if I go down this route I can do it right and not have an empty looking tank. I'm still in the air about the whole thing. 75 Gallons seems so big and 34 Gallon RSM 130 seems a little small.

7. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Trust me... 75 gallons is not "so big" once you have things running, and many books and online resources recommend this as a minimum size for beginning marine aquarists because of the difficulty and expertise needed to keep smaller tanks stable. The smaller the tank, the harder the maintenance...

Also - a tank this size would offer the opportunity of doing a trick sump or the like within the stand large enough for decent skimmers, and being only 48" long and a whooping 18" wide you can do some serious lighting on a budget !

8. luckylouse

Ok. After more research today I'm even more confused! Lol. But that's ok. either way I know this will likely be a fun hobby! I visited a reef shop today who specialized in Coral. What a friggin nice store! They are an ATI light distributor and they really promote a good light system. coming out of that store really open my eyes! I'm a reefer and never knew it until today!
    In fact I start dealing with a Big Al and one of their employees told me to visit this store. I'm glad I did! He told me to go right into a 90Gal. He said the dif between 90 and 75 is small and with the ATI lighting he recommended the depth would have little or no impact on the coral growth. He also said a sump is the only way to go. His stiff was wickedly expensive but very high quality!

9. luckylouse

Is there a way of telling if rock has been properly cured?

10. luckylouse

do I go with Live sand or Agramite or Crushed coral? No clue? Do I mix?

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Normally is live rock is cured, it will be listed as such. Cured live rock is basically when everything dead falls off and is "clean" and starts to grow coral, algae, etc etc on it that was preexisting.

Live sand is generally the way to go. Some people mix some live sand and crushed coral, like I did. That seems to look more natural.

12. lostanime

lostanime New Member

aragonite helps buffer (prevent PH dips)... I would strongly recommend fine substrate (sugar-sized) vs larger crushed substrate because less detritus will get trapped down there and rot.

90's an awesome size to go with. Just be mindful when your stepping up past 75gal that your floor needs to be able to support what your doing (I wouldn't recommend over 75gal on an upper floor of the house, make sure you place tank perpendicular to floor joists, etc)

And yes - sumps are by far the way to go. I'd recommend avoiding bioballs (another detritus trap that turns them into nitrate factories) and consider whether a refugium or deep sand bed (over 3") would be appealing options in your sump so you can pick or make one that suits both your current and future interests (both are forms of natural nitrate reduction)

If you want to seriously pursue corals, high flow and serious skimming can be as important, if not moreso then strong lighting. take your time and enjoy it!

13. luckylouse

Ouch. Just finished spending $10,000 on my bathroom... looks like my new hobby will have to wait awhile! lol

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

u should at least start with 30gallon or small to see if you like it. most of the time people start with a big tank and dont want to spend the time to care for it. and end up selling to whole set up for cheap. so i go out and buy that cheap deal. lol. this hobby consume a lot of time and money to up keep. it's nice to have a tank to show to people but if u dont spend any time to up keep it than there wont be much to show. i to start with a 100gallon and now i down graded to a 30gallon cube frag tank. i spend about 3 hour a day +/- 30 minutes on cleaning, feeding, check, looking at fish(for problem), looking at coral(for problem), etc...
    hope this help.

15. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I do this with my fresh tank too! :)

For me I dont have coral, but I do look at my plants and think of better ways I can aquascape the tank.

16. luckylouse

Thanks. I am going to go down the road of the Red Sea Mas 130D as soon as I get my next big commission check. they are pretty rare in this crap economy though. I'll have to be patient about it, I'll wait for a deal.

I figured it will cost me $1,700 to get it up and going with Live rock and accessories right off the get go.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

*Bleep* $1700 just to have a complete saltwater tank. i build my 100gallon for under $700. i got most of my stuff from people that is parting out or getting out of the hobby. i down graded to a 30gallon cube and made about $1000 back because most of the coral grow out and divide them self. i spend about $300 for my 30gallon. everything was bought from different people. and that save a lot of money than brand new.

18. luckylouse

Well. I haven't made a move yet. I'm still trying to wheel and deal. The more I look around in the Toronto area the more I want to start up a LFS. The stores around here at crap and expensive. Red max 130d in U.S cost $850 same thing in Canada cost $1,400 CDN or $1,160 US. Brutal.

19. luckylouse

Well... scrap the Nano!!!!

I just bought the following:

90 Drilled overflow box with 1-1/2" drain, 1" return on solid wood cabinet.
    Custom 38 Gallon Sump with Refigium
    Bubble King 180 Skimmer
    Blue Line 1200gph external pump.
    TEK T5HO 4x 54 ( I wanted 6 x 54 but I got a wicked deal on a used one... $100 because it had a burnt balast. I took it apart changes the connectors and voila... it worked). I upgrade down the road or add 20 or so LED under the hood.

I'm Waiting for sump to be ready and the RODI to ship and I'll be ready for the rock!!!!
    Time to cash if the retirement money before I lose any more of it!!!!! Lol

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

good start. just make sure u take it slow. anything else just ask.