1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Newbie looking for help!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by luckylouse, Jan 31, 2009.

1. luckylouse

luckylouse Thread Starter New Member

I'm new too... but I know it's when your tank is finally established and you have 0 ppm Nitrite and Amonia and small trace of Nitrate. once you start reading Nitrate means your rock is fully cured. Never buy supposedly cured rock from a supplier until you cycle your tank. If you're adding to a tank it's best to quarantine it for a week if possible.

Again, I'm new too so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No, that's not true. When you cycle your tank you will have an ammonia and nitrIte reading. After the cycle is complete ammonia and nitrIte will read 0 and nitrAtes will begin to show. This has nothing to do with rock being cured or not. It is also best to add all your live rock BEFORE adding anything else to the tank. You will always have partial die off from the live rock causing high nitrAtes which are bad for inverts and fish (more so than freshwater fish where nitrAtes generally under 30 are common).

3. luckylouse

I was close but no cigar eh? Thanks Anthony. What about putting a new piece in quarantine? I was told that's always a good idea.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Putting a new piece of live rock in ?

5. luckylouse

Check out this thread to find out what I ended up with.

Funny to think I was going to start with a 34Gal tank and ended up with 130 Gal!!!
    I'm already wanting to upgrade.
    Best purchase made was the coral of course, but equipment wise was the Ecotec MP40. If you have a 90+ Gal tank and have some cash go and buy it. Simply amazing!