1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Newest Hatchlings

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by James0816, Sep 14, 2010.

1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Blue Pearls hatching out into the world. This was the first time a saw shrimps hatching. And to be able to snap a pic was great too!

Here can see a couple of little one just hatched (below mama's tail). You can also see progressive hatching underneath (just to the left of the limpet).

So kewl!
    BluePearl_091310.jpg

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Very awesome!

i had a GS I bought come in with babies up under the tail. the male angel in the tank at that time throughly enjoyed it and the babies.

How do you breed the shrimps? i got alot of empty tanks and could use them as a food source for my cichlids. Problem i have is the GS dont make it to the bottom of the tank unless i throw in atleast 6 dozen.

Congrats, now I know its just not Dawn and I spending every waking minute taking care of babies.

3. James0816

Well...you'd definately want to breed ghosties for that purpose not these guys. ;o)

Ghosties have a short larvae stage that they go through. Start with a 10g and go from there with only them in the tank.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep yep, the "colored" shrimp usually run a buck a clip at least and the ghost shrimp you can get for next to nothing as feeders (ps. some stores refer to the ghost shrimp as glass shrimp)...and good shot of the shrimpy! (i know it's difficult to get a good shot of em)

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

congrats on the baby shrimp ! it's amazing you was able to get a good pic, you'd think that she would've hatched them under cover more.

6. James0816

It was quite fun to watch. I would describe it pretty much as raining shrimp when I first discovered it. They were coming from the top of the tank. I thought they were just swimming around. She was kind of hidden as the leaf she was on (in the pic) is right under a layer of Duckweed and Najas.