1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Newt Setup

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by DarkDemolition, Jul 20, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

I'm setting up a Newt tank I been researching for the past 3 weeks now and overall I have mostly everything down packed.. One thing that considers me is the lighting,so I was wondering what kind light and watts is recommended for a newt.I am addding land and water as well and I've noticed some said lighting is not something to worry about.Just wanting to know what is best for the newt and its environment... Any suggestion would help.. thanks guys

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well from what I know, which isn't much, newts do not like intense lighting. Everything I've seen said there's no real need for "special" lighting as long as it's not very bright. What I would try to do is get a low watt red bulb and place it on one side of the tank where the land is.

3. DarkDemolition

thanks I appreciate it the advice.. :D

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

firebelly newts and frogs are the best!
    I had when I was younger...I never had lighting specifically for them >>Screen lid on top of tank and the tank was situated under a shop light that was affixed to the ceiling.

They have such fancy setups for them now, but at that time I had your basic glass aquarium with a homemade partition that allowed them to have water and land (diy acrylic and aquarium sealant).

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I had two or three a very long time ago. I can't remember having any special lighting for them either.

6. DarkDemolition

well the reason I'm asking because I want to add planets and give it a better environmental aquarium for the newt... so they won't feek there in a pet store... I guess a low watts light strip should be suitable... if there any suggestion plz feel free.. thanks you guy....

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

well with crypts you can do low light and they should do great.
    depend on what you want to spend you can do a shop light with plant bulbs>>a desk lamp with a compact fl. >>or an actual tank light

8. DarkDemolition

cool awesome then I'll do that.. thanks for the help ;)

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no problem. anytime!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are you going to do this in an aquarium or purchase one of those reptile terrariums ?

11. DarkDemolition

I'm going to purchase long 20 gallon which is suitable for 2 newts half land and water.....