1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Normal for a female endler to die after giving birth?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by NoctuVide, Feb 1, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Question, is it normal for a female endler to die after she gives birth? I went to look in the tank when I got home from work tonight, and she was laying on the bottom dead, yet all the other fish in the tank are fine including the 5 babies and the male so I know it can't be a water quality issue. Could me catching the babies and putting them in the fry net cause her enough stress to just die or like I asked, is this a normal occurrence?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: is this normal?

if their anything like the guppies it is, sometimes too many babies...sometimes the stress of other fish trying to catch the female to eat the babies as their delivered...etc etc etc.
    If your water is testing good and everything else in the tank is okay and looking/acting normal I wouldn't worry.

3. NoctuVide

Yea, I watched the male chase her around quite a bit during and after birth, so that's what might have done it? Blah... I might give up on these endlers anyways (being that they are not a pure strain as they supposedly are), sell them back to ned's, and pic up a couple pair from Anthony in the spring lol

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I plan on bugging him to scoop me some this Spring if he has them at that time also, imo just because they aren't pure doesn't mean they aren't nice.
    Yea, I agree it sounds like the male stressed her out to the max...if your lucky that will be all it was. I was checking out some picts and to me they look similar to guppies & my experience with them is that some do die from too many babies...being chased by others to eat those said babies...etc.
    Good Luck with the remaining ones :)

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never had that happen. My females always give birth in the tank with everyone else. Only this last time did I put the female in a clear cup attached to the inside of the tank just so I could watch because in the year or so I've had them, I've NEVER seen one give birth. After she was done I slowly released her and the fry back into the tank and everything was fine. I do have about 30+ though so that could have something to do with it.

My females seem to be poppin out fry like crazy so they'll be ready when the spring comes. :D

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I cant say that I advocate producing hybrids at all, but they do sometimes looks better!

7. NoctuVide

Yeah, after looking around on the net, and posting on here I've definitely come to realize that these "pure" endlers aren't pure, and I prefer having pure fish, especially this species. The one question I have is, I think I saw on your for sale post that you keep both types in the same tank, wouldn't this end up in hybridization of the two types? If not, I'll probably end up buying a pair of the two different types you have.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No it doesn't.

Black Bars and Center Peacocks are some of the predominate colors of wild Endler's and even in a tank of them mixed together you are still going to get both traits. Its not hybridizing as in crossing species like Endler's and Guppies.

9. NoctuVide

oh ok, so hybrids only result from guppy/endler mixes, and not mixing the different markings. I get ya! Then in the spring you can count me in on buying the two different types from you :D

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sounds good. I'm building up my colony now because I have quite a few people that want to buy them it seems.

11. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies New Member

Hi Anthony, it's Spring now..are the Endlers available??? I want some. Thanks.

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol [dancing]

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

sorry for your loss.

14. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

none of my fish have died after giving birth :D