1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

not sure what to use?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

last night i noticed some of the fry i have seem to have some spots of there tails missing,i wonder if its fin and tail rot and if so what med can i use to help them.
    the fry are about 12 days old now and today i noticed a few that seemed ok last night are now dying.
    i know that im gonna loose some at some point,but i hate to lose any of them,the one that was born with a spine that seems bent is the one i thought i would loose but it seems to be doing ok with swimming and eating,maybe its just me being a Grandma that worrys to much
    07-18-09_1516.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What type of fry are they ?
    What are the tank water parameters ?
    When was your last water change ?

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can answer the first (their goldfish fry)

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well i went to the local pet store and seem to find someone that seemed to know what they were talking about as you asked about a water change so did he,i did not do one till this evening,i did a 30% water change,bought 3 breeder nets and placed all the babies...(well i hope them all) in the nets and then turned on the filter that had been off for about 12 days now,added some salt and placed dad and mom back in the tank to help clean it up.
    the man said it may have been amonia that was too high in the tank that caused the tails to fray,i hope this helped.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You added salt? Curious as to why?

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol...............because they told me to..........lol,they said it helps with stress

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oy. I would not have added salt in there with the fry. They MUST have a filter running at all times to provide oxygen and to filter out particles and waste from the water. Adding the parents to the tank will do no good, they don't clean anything.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well i hope that it helped that the filter was running when i added the salt,i did not use what they said i used less,i think that the parents will help in moving the stuff aound,so the filter will pick it up better..........by the way did i tell you im new at this...Lol.....well i feel bad now,i hope that i did not kill them all(head down)i did what they said.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think the best advice anyone could ever give you would be to almost never listen to what pet store employees tell you to do. I'm sure almost every user on here could tell you a story where an employee told them to do something that was not correct.

Don't feel bad. I wouldn't add any more and in 2 days do another water change, this time about a 40% change.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ya know i know your right and i will do that,Thanks for all the help...........as a Thanks how about i send you a few goldfish.........lol

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL I have actually never owned a goldfish in my life.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

These might be of help to you:
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2564</a>
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2627</a>

Fishless Cycle Your Tank / Nitrogen Cycle

Typical Break-in Fish Tank Cycle (Tank Syndrome)

Top 2 deal with what to have for a healthy tank...bottom 2 are related to cycling the tank.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps. caution with the breeder nets...be careful when you do partials (make sure you don't take the water down lower than the nets leaving the fry hanging dry).

Also, You may find it easier to use a No Spill Clean N' Fill Python for your water changes. I had goldfish a WHILE back...and they are what I'd consider one of your dirtier fish (no offense..I like them too..specially the fantails).

Here's a link to a diy version>> <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1286&hilit=python" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1286&hilit=python</a>

and Here's a link to a review on the store version including a photo>> <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=769&p=44294#p44294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=769&p=44294#p44294</a>

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol..............well guess what how about like a 100 to start........i know they will have a great home

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you have 100 of them. My my! that is quite a lot of lil ones to feed. Lol!
    Congrats and good luck with the fry.

Ps. You can feed baby brine shrimp or Hikari First Bites to the fry.

16. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

hey grandma (i know that sounded werid lol) but i think u should make a doucmentry on breeding goldfishes ill be intrested in seeing it also not much info many people u see could breed goldfish in tanks so it would be intresting =]

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well steve the funny things is that i have no clue why after 16 1/2 yrs they decided to breed,i had only bought new plants a week before.
    i just have taken care of them the bast i knew how,from what i had read.
    now the baby raising thing is all new here to me,i just want some of the babies to make it so i can keep somewe bought a pond linner so we can keep some in there as well.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

dawn there are more like 200 in there but i was willing to give up 100..............lol,they seem much better today

19. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

goldfish fry are tiny, i got like 400 in my pond currently :S

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Glad to hear they are doing better!
    Yay!