1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira '98

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Its a Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira '98. Or in simpler terms that I understand its a killifish that was found in 1998. I am getting two sets of breeding pair on Wednesday. Here is another picture of one of the pair.
    fish9.jpg

2. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Re: i was needing to know

i thought it was a killifish. it is beautiful. i havnt seen one so pretty. where did you get it?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am getting them shipped to me via a guy in Missouri.

4. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I think it is beautiful. i would love to find some for my bigger tank. not sure if they can live in it. but i am going to wait too.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

They would do great in your 29 gallon!

6. Leslie

Leslie New Member

how much do they cost? i know i wont be able to find any down here.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It all depends on where you get them, you can buy eggs or live fish on aquabid but I think you would have to have a credit card. :(

8. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Re: Heaters?

most do the angle because when ya do a water change the heater is still under water

9. Leslie

Leslie New Member

hopefully by the time i decide to get 1 or 2 i will have a cc. if you get eggs you wont know if they are boy or girl right??

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

they will send you a ton so you will get some of each!

11. Leslie

Leslie New Member

id probable kill them all. never taken care of eggs before.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am pretty sure you would just have to put them in the water, taking care to ensure the water parameters are correct.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'd have to make sure they don't get fungus too.

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

well with my luck they would die. i would have to get fish instead.

15. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Changes is Season, Changes in Tank Temp

Changes is Season, Changes in Tank Temp

Well with the new season coming in my wife and I decided to kill the AC in the house (our electric bill went up A LOT in the past month). Our house has been pretty comfortable (a bit warm sometimes to me) and I decided to check my tank temp.

I like to keep my Discus at a tad over 80 degrees as plants dont like the really warm bath water so much. When I checked my tank temp yesterday I was at 88. WOW did it go up. At this time I have an open top to my 125 so I was having a hard time keeping warm water with the AC going as the vent is not far from over top it. Last night I brought the temp on 2 of the 3 heaters in the tank that have been running full throttle (I think they are 200 watt cheapo heaters for up to a 55 gallon). At full throttle on the heaters they could barely hold 81 degrees. Now this morning after turning 2 down I am back to 85...

The fun of weather changes.... It requires some adjustments on your tank. Again when I get the money I know there are better heaters that will do this for me.... they just are not my priority at this moment as I still want my hood to the tank. That the wife did say yes.... I just have to wait til my October paycheck to get the wood and materials for that.

Thankfully none of my fish seem to mind other than my runt of a baby discus. It was him/her that made me notice something was wrong in the tank. This morning it seems to be a bit happier. All of the other discus seemed to like it up that high.

Who else here runs less than optimal equipment like myself with a really nice tank? Be honest.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Changes is Season, Changes in Tank Temp

When I was younger and just getting into fish I would just buy the cheapest thing that would get me by. I don't do that any longer, I buy exactly what I need to and just look for the best price on it.

17. LemonDiscus

I would be like that.... but the wife.... and the 2 kids :confused:

But what I have does do the job (sorta) and I am upgrading bit by bit. Like I said, the hood comes next (DIY thread!!) and then I am probably gonna get me a titanium heater instead of these other POS. Later upgrading my filter to an XP4 and I should be good to go!

This hood is going to drop about 2 bucks so.... that even has to be made in stages. The light fixtures I intend on getting are up over a buck for just them and the bulbs.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, family comes first, fish second.

19. LemonDiscus

Heaters

Heaters

Ok, I think I have my plan for the tank on everything BUT one important thing..... A nice heater!

I have been reading, and reading and still cannot come to a conclusion of where I should go with a heater.

Here are my requirements with the heater:
    External Thermostat Controller (I am tired of reaching in the tank)
    125 Gallon Aquarium @ 5 watts per gallon = 625 watts or more
    RELIABLE
    Under $100

Because of the Discus I want the extra wattage so I can run 1 tube in the tank and maybe after I get my canister filter run it inline on my filter and NOT in the tank. The Rena XP4 is one canister I am looking at which does make the Rena Smartheater that hooks to the intake tube.... not enough wattage though. I read about this Finnex heater, but nothing but bad reviews. I dont know where else to look.

20. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Re: Heaters

ummm good luck with this one bro dont think you are gona get just one but i like the stealth heaters but you are still gonna get your hands wet