1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira '98

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Heaters

If you want an external control you'll probably want the Pro-Heat Titanium IC Heater.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can't help with this one. For that kind of wattage I'm guessing you should need two heaters? Rena's new line of Smartheaters are nice...set & forget; plus I like that the whole entire dial glows bright red to let you know when it's working and IF your temp is off by a few degrees it will flash every couple seconds to let you know somethings wrong...kinda like saying Houston..we have a situation here.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I love my Rena SmartHeater.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yeah, I have 3 - 200 watt heaters in the tank now.... those cheap tetra heaters from wal-mart.....

I see the benefit of 2 heaters..... you dont loose all heat, but man if I were to loose 1 of those 3 heaters my tank will chill off quicker than I can know anything happened!

Reply by Anthony-->Why do you think your tank would cool so fast that you wouldn't know about it ? Larger tanks hold heat easier than smaller ones.

5. fordfreak67

fordfreak67 New Member

Question Regarding Aeration/Air Bubbles Near Heater

Heater question

I just put a new air stone in my tank and the bubbles come up around the heater, does anyone think this will cause the heater to cut on and off more often

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Heater question

It shouldnt cause it to turn off and on more often, but it will help to circulate the heat in the tank better, but not as well as if you were to place the heater near the output of a filter.

7. fordfreak67

fordfreak67 New Member

Re: Heater question

Thanks for the info, I do have the heater close to filter

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Heater for 125 gallon

Heater for 125 gallon
    I was told that 2 200watt heaters would be the way to go for the 125 gallon tank, is this my best be or should i buy 1 really big heater to do the job. I alreay have a 250w extra from my 55, so i have to buy at least one heater anyways.

9. LemonDiscus

Re: Heater for 125 gallon

2-5 watts per gallon is the rule of thumb. It all depends on fish. I run 3 200 watt heaters and kind of like it like that because if one dies then I still have 2 running. Again my application is Discus which like warm water.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The only thing you have to worry about is if one fails in the on position and you're not around to notice anything.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks again

12. LemonDiscus

Heater predicament

Heater predicament
    Ok, I am in DEEP Pooh now I think! The 2 Angels just spawned again after I moved them from the 30 down to the 20 so the babies could live without me disturbing them and putting them in shock.

Well here is the issue, I have 3 more tanks left that are not filled now (55, 10, 5) I do have enough filtration for all of them, just no more heaters. I figure I could take the heater from my 10 gallon quarantine downstairs under my 125... BUT it is only a 50 watt.

That leaves me with this setup
    125 gallon - 2 x 300watt heaters
    30 gallon - 1 x 50 watt heater
    20 gallon 1 x 50 watt heater
    55 gallon - 1 x 200 watt heater (currently on my 30 gallon)
    10 gallon under my 125 - no heater (no fish in it now either, just a few plants)

My question is will those heaters work on those 30/20/55 tanks? I dont need to hold my favored temps of 82-88 degrees, actually I want the fry kept around 78-80 and the parents (whichever tank they are in) at 82-84 degrees.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Heater predicament

What's your air temperature on average ? In your home...

14. LemonDiscus

My wife likes it about 80.... 78-86 depending on how she has it set.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow, LoL. I thought I kept the heat high in the winter.

They should be fine with the air temp being so warm.

16. LemonDiscus

Cool, did not know, I like to overdo everything and a 50 watt is not much.... I HAVE (had to) heat the 55 with a 50 watt heater and it did work...... barely though. I am sure that the 55 with a 200 watt will be fine... and I know the 50 watt on the 20 is fine (its what is on it now) the 50 watt on the 30L is what I was concerned with.

Oh and the wife keeps it hot because she is frightened our children will freeze in the middle of the night as neither sleep with a blanket.... that is why she cranks it up at night to like 85.... I HATE IT :x

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I was thinking about the 30 gallon too. If the room temp was cooler I'd worry more but I still think it will be fine since your wife keeps the house like an oven. :)

18. LemonDiscus

Well, my 55 is up and running and I have the 30 on a sponge filter and going to make one for the 20 as well..... I have 2 days to get the 55 ready for the Angels.... The good thing is I took the HOB off of the 30 and it is on the 55 along with another HOB.....

Now to find out how to get the 55 divided to where the fry cannot move through.... I can make 3 tanks out of that 55 if I do it right.... may do what no-show recommend.... Pantyhose.... But I dont know how to attach it :confused:

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Attaching it doesn't sound easy.

20. LemonDiscus

No, I cant think of how to do that..... sounds like a great thing to use for a divider for fry..... but attaching it.....

Oh and upstairs my air pump is loud as I dont know what!!!! :x