1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira '98

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

Re: Heater predicament

Good gracious....I'd hate to see your heating bills...I keep my house around 75.....

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Heater predicament

Gas heat.... the heat pump only adds $50 a month over our stove and hot water heater (another $25)

With all of the tanks (now 5 running) our electric bill is what hurts! Keep in mind I average 2 pumps per tank! Plus a heater in each tank (at least except for my running 10 gallon now....) an air pump (BIG OLD one) and lights on each tank (my 125 has 6 lights, my 55 has 2 lights and all others have 1)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Does Temperature Affect PH Levels?

PH and water temp?

Does the water temperature affect the PH level? PetsMart fish guy said it did but I haven't heard that.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: PH and water temp?

I've heard that too. I've never had my pH change due to temp though. I bet it would affect it if you did not have proper water movement.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well we were buying a fish and they were having problems with the heating system and he was saying that the PH levels kept changing because of that.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you notice, their tanks usually don't have much water movement also... So that could be why temp makes their pH change so much.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea very true

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have almost NO water movement in one of my tanks thats heavily planted and it has no affect on my PH. A few of my tanks actually drop 5 degrees or more at night and I have yet to lose a fish so temp change IMO doesn't really affect FRESHwater that much.

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No temp does NOT affect PH.

PH and Temperature affect Oxygen levels (lower PH and Higher Temps = Lower O2)

10. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

Inline Heaters

Inline Heaters
    I have a question regarding inline tank heaters. I want to minimize the mechanical footprint in my tank and wanted to know if anyone uses the inline heaters (inline with soft tubing on an external filter). I have seen a few on ebay and such, but wanted to know what everyone thinks of them before I purchase one. Any brands that are being used and appropriate sizing (for a 55 gallon) would be a great help.

Thanks for any help!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Inline Heaters

I use a version of an inline heater. It's Rena's newer SmartHeater which I think is great. I've heard no complaints about inline heaters so I'd go for it as long as you get a quality brand.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I use the Rena SmartHeater like Anthony and think it's great. If you want as little as possible inside the tank then try the Hydor In Line Heater that sits completely outside of the tank. You can view it at Marinedepot.com and can probably pick it up much cheaper somewhere else such as Ebay.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've heard the Hydors are great inline heaters.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I had one, but it didn't quite fit onto the renaxp4 tubing...I dunno...I really didn't play with it but read reviews which rated it as being really good! I like the Rena SmartHeaters because they whole entire dial lights up letting you know it is on and it will blink letting you know if something is amiss. Wish all of them did that...the only part that bites is that you still have to reach into the water to adjust it if need be, but typically it's a set it forget it setup.

15. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

Yeah,

I have been looking at the Hydor setup. Seems to be the best fit for my tank. I have a Cascade 700 canister filter with the 5/8" tubing, which is required for the 300 watt unit (53-80 gallon reccomendation), and they are only about 12" long and 2-3" wide, so it should fit where i want to put it. So, I think that will be the one to go with.

Thanks for the help guys!

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

welcome :)

17. BobV

BobV Member

yep yep yep....always go for quality over value. I just had a cheapo Tetra Tech heater boil a tank full of synodontis petricolas for me. I'm not a happy camper today. But I have only myself to blame for not getting a better one. I am going to go through all my tanks and replace all the cheap heaters with quality ones with stealth or ebos.

18. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

Yeah,

I had a filter, the kind the is fully in the tank (moter and all) theat got so hot one night that it melted the plastic and water got in. Boom! 2AM and the house smelled like it was on fire. No fish died, but a couple were swimming sideways for a while. Lesson learned and the next day I had the external filter.

Sorry you lost that tank Bob. That sucks!

19. BobV

BobV Member

yeah, I really hated to loose the petricolas. I had them for like 5 years. Still have brichardi for you as well as albino bristle nose plecos and neolamprologus brevis ( ikola sunspots ) you can google them for info or call me.

20. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

Well,
    I ordered the Hydor 300! Should be here in a couple days. I will update with status once I have it installed. And hopefully some pics of the tank as well!