1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira '98

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Inline Heaters

sounds great, can't wait to see the picts!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Just wondering, but both of my rena heaters dials seem to be sort of stuck in their initially set position. Unlike when they were brand spankin new and you could easily turn the dial...I now have to use needle nose pliars to get it to spin/adjust BOTH of them. Mind you, they still perform flawlessly.
    The only reason I found this out is because my heater accidently became unplugged without my knowledge, found out when I stuck my hand in the tank to position the new TOM digital aquarium thermometer do-dad...normally don't check the sticker thermometers on the front since purchasing the old digital one that just recently up and died--reason for the installation of the new TOM one. Anywho, when I tried to spin the dial to adjust the setting the dial would not rotate despite force...kind of like trying to turn something that's corroded. I ended up having to bust out the needlenoses in order to rotate it and was wondering if it's a defect of some sort?

3. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

My guess, is that it is a byproduct of heat. How old is the heater? Try rotating them again after it warms up. just a thought. Or, it could have corrision inside the dial area. May sound weird, but PAM spray is a good nontoxic lubricant! Call me crazy, but we use it on our drill rigs at work when collecting analytical samples for contamination!

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

heaters are both less than a year old, have always been in fresh water, and actually don't "look" corroded. I would hink Pam would have some affect on the water? Thanks for the info...maybe the corrosion is inside the dial as you have suggested? I'm just glad the needlenose pliars worked!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It may be fro calcium buildup, try to work with it for a bit and keep moving i back and forth and see if that loosens it up.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Did that after using the needlenoses...still was extremely tight. Thanks for the great suggestion though. This is the first heater that I've experienced dial issues with...thankfully it's a set it and forget type heater or I would be ticked since I have to use a ladder to reach behind the tank to access it. <Short>

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

If it isnt loosening up, I would imagine that AKGEO is right, and the heat has sucked all the lubrication out of it.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, it's been sucked dry..literally? Lol!
    well if future adj. are needed and the needlenoses fail then I'm heading to the grocery store to test the cooking spray idea.
    Thanks All!

9. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

I know it sounds crazy, but PAM really does work in many applications. I swear, Im not making this stuff up! I had to use it once when I washed my truck and the locks froze. I had no deicer, so being the guy I am, I though I would try the cooking spray. Worked great!. And its made with soybeans and rosemary (I think!) extract, So in the small amounts should not be detrimental to the fish, especially if you rinse out the unit after working the stuck parts loose, prior to putting back in the tank.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Honestly I believe you, but it's at the temp needed and is working...so I'm not going to muck with it. Should the needlenose pliars not work in the future when & if it needs adjusting then I will know to head to the grocery store and use the pam. Thanks for the advice on using it for lock de-icer. would have never thought of it for that!

11. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Sorry I got to this tread late but if any one is still checking it I have a question.

I am thinking about getting an in-line heater for my eheim classic 2213 canister filter.
    I was looking at the rena smartheater 150watt model but not sure if it will fit. Bear in mind that the eheim uses metric and the tube has a 12mm inner diameter.

Any one now what the inner diameter of a rena filter tubing is?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Rena SmartHeater will not go over the tubing of the intake/outtake. It replaces the intake tube that is physically in the tank.

13. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

so will it work?

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

On the tubing itself no. It may fit on the plastic intake. I know it fits Rena (obviously) and MarineLand's plastic intake. I don't know the exact size of the intake pipe though.

15. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

well I guess i'll have to spend the extra money on a hydor. thanks for your help anthony

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think you'd be happier with that anyway since it's completely out of the tank. The Rena SmartHeater, while a good heater, is basically just to turn the already existing filter intake into a heater/intake in one.

17. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

I just recieved my Hydor 300 in the mail yesterday (Takes forever to get some items to AK!) Looks like a pretty good unit overall. I have to get some more tubing sections and some other fittings for my canister filter to get it installed. I like the fact that it will be completely out of the tank, and I can access it for cleaning without disturbing the tank. I should hopefully get it installed this weekend, and will update!

18. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Dr F/S has them on sale right now. I'm getting the 200 watt for $40

19. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

With the cost of shipping, I got mine for 52.00. It is the 300 for up to an 80 gallon tank. And like i said earlier, Its is crazy expensive to get stuff up here!

I hope you enjoy it! How big is your tank?

20. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

40 gallon breeder tank