1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Oci Doci the betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Guidoman888, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 Thread Starter New Member

He's still doing fine ^^ I really love this picture I thought to post it since I only have a few of Him

I'm still wondering about this, I saw alot of vids with bettas and tetras put together,, Since I have some other additions in the 30g (black molly/ cory paleatus) I'm wondering if he'll do fine in there I really want to give him some more space. And since I'm pretty new to fish keeping I have no clue :)

Will he do fine in the 30gal?
    betta.jpg

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

He should! The extra space will do him some good. Just dont add another Male to the tank, and I would stay away from females too unless you have time to watch them and space to remove her if needed.

-Edit:

Also be sure that nobody in the tank is a "Fin Nipper"

3. Guidoman888

I know that ^^,, We'll I'll try to put him over tomorrow then I'll have to find out what to do with his old tank.

And nope i dont got real fin nippers just some lazy ass corys

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Guidoman come on now, you should know to wipe down your tank glass before taking a picture. :)

I agree with Lemon. He sound do fine but keep an eye on him and the molly.

5. Guidoman888

Its an older picture before I got the mag-float its all cleaned right now,, I've also got ALOT of snails in there that do the work :)

6. LemonDiscus

Quarantine! Keep it running with a Molly or a Platy in it (1 or 2 of the SAME SEX) just to keep the bacteria alive in it. If you have to medicate a fish, get a new one etc you can put them in that one temporarily.

Also could use it to grow plants!?!

7. Guidoman888

Hmm I think I'll use it for quarantine ^^

8. LemonDiscus

If you are going to use it for a quarantine I would not keep plants in it though as some meds (salt) messes with plants.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nice betta guido! I had one that was that color mixed with some red once.

10. Guidoman888

This morning I woke up and went down didnt look at the fish tanks,, when I went up i found my betta lying dead on the gravel :( The water parameters are

Ammonia- 0
    pH - 7.0
    Nitrate-0
    Nitrite- 0
    Water temprature was aprox 50 degrees F and I changed his water 25% every week

The only thing I know that caused his death was that he stopped eating the amount he used to did,, Sometimes he even didnt eat at all. I tried everything to make him eat. Like I mentioned before I wanted to put him over but he didnt make the day that was planned =/

The other tank is doing fine and nothing has happened there.

11. LemonDiscus

50 F is COLD for a Beta.... should be in the 70's

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Holy mess Guido, you froze him to death!
    No, now in all seriousness that's too cold for a betta as Ryan has already told you.
    74-78F with the importance being on stability more than actual temperature once you get into the 70's range.
    Problem with these guys is people see them at Petsmart and Wal-mart in those dixie like cups of blue crap and think they'll be okay like that in their homes too. They're a fish and they want room! Give it to them man-or else we'll tell your mother..Haha! Just kidden.
    If your try them again treat them the same you would most tropical fish and put a heater in there water and set it to about 76F

13. Guidoman888

Well I gave him enough space I think but yes the temprature was low because I saw him like that at our fish shop

I feel pretty bad right now :oops:

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You live and learn, In fish keeping theirs always something new to learn..I think that's why I enjoy it (challenges me to some point).
    I blame the managers of the pet stores (hiring poorly informed employees that don't have a lick of experience with what they are handling/selling).

15. LemonDiscus

I agree with Dawn. I know this sounds bad but there really are only 2 ways to learn and do things right

1 - Informed properly by knowledgeable people (why we are here)
    2 - Do things wrong and learn the hard way (ALL of us have done this again why we are here to prevent this one the best we can)

16. Guidoman888

Thank you guys :) Thats exactly the reason Why I joined this forumm,, The other tank is doing great and I didnt notice any problem and the fish seem really happy :) I couldnt have made it that far without you guys :D

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

shucks! It's all you Guido...and your willingness to listen and learn!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I will have to say again, you cannot blame the petstores esp petsmart and petco for not hiring experts, they are looking young people who can work for cheap. Could you imagine how much it would cost to have five experts in the fish world working at a petco....I mean seriously, before yo buy a dog do you nor research the breed to figure out what temperment and all your looking for? I fault the person who bought the fish without properly researching the thing, and also for not asking questions. Maybe they should start giving out quizzes to each person who wants to buy a fish to see how much they know. Lets be realistic, we can complain about how petsmart and petco employees need to know all this information, but in reality its up to us as the consumer to know what we are buying and the requirements for keeping that species.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sorry Nelson, I still blame the petstores partly...I agree with what you say also to a point, but it makes me really mad when a worker contradicts things about fish like they are experts and tells someone differently (misguiding them)...If that makes sense?

20. LemonDiscus

Yeah, the employees should just shut up and sell the fish if they dont know anything! That is better than giving incorrect info.

I agree though that it is up to the consumer to research before buying.... too bad 80% of the consumers buy fish on a whim!