1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

octopus question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

does anyone know the life expectency of a captive octopus? Im hearing different feedback.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Specifically which kind ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

its on my wholesale list as a pacific octopus

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Octopi generally don't live very long. Larger species like the Giant Pacific Octopus can live for about 3-5 if properly cared for. The only pacific octopus I found info on was the Giant one so I assume that's what's on your list.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks pal, Im think its that one. Might be too much of a project knowing that they get huge. It was either that or the blue ring. but id rather get big then get stung by a blue ring octopus.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I don't think anyone would want to get stung/bit by a blue ring. :)

7. lostanime

lostanime New Member

I've never heard of octopi in aquarium-suitable sizes that will live for much over a year, and it's very difficult to determine age of a wild-caught specimen.

We're dying to get one but dragging my feet so our daughter will be old enough to at least remember because we're only doing a dedicated octopus tank once or twice! They are supposedly HIGHLY entertainment pets though - extremely smart and comical if you can keep them in the tank and away from fish.

and :) regarding blue ring... it blows my mind it's even legal to sell those nowadays!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thats exactly what i heard from different sources. It all depends on the age when it arrives. if its a baby, then ill be in good shape. But if it comes in like around 9 or 10 months,,,then the thing is gonna be a great hobby for 2 or three months and then kick off. Ill do my homework with the distributor to make sure its a baby, just so I can enjoy it for a while. thanks for your response, and yes, blue ring is on the list aswell and its cheap.....Jee I wonder why....it would be the worst 30 bucks I ever spent because that 30 bucks would probably kill me :eek: :)

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Fish Tank - $500.00

Fish - $200.00

Avoiding The Blue Ring - Priceless

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

funny, one of the fish mags I picked up had an article about keeping octopi, squid, and cuttle fish. Here's a direct quote from the article "The natural life span of most cephalopods is short by our standards. A typical octopus, cuttlefish or squid only lives six months to two years depending on the species. The Giant Pacific Octopus only lives about three years. Remember, cephalopods collected in the wild may have already lived a substantial portion of their short life spans prior to collection." It goes on to also say that even size is not a determining factor in the age of the octopus and that even with the best care, most cephalopods will not likely live much longer than a year, often less, dying from natural causes.

12. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Wow, sucks to be them.... for as smart as they are, you would think they would figure out how to live longer. :)

They are cool though. I would not mind keeping one and can definitely see why there would be interest in them.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) Lemon.

14. lostanime

lostanime New Member

I've seen that on quite a few sites and articles as well.

The life span's not going to stop us from trying since most of them we see are only $50-$200, and gives an opportunity to appreciate them without a severely long commitment in a tank.

I'm not saying they are CHEAP by any stretch, but compared to the maintenance costs (food, electricity, bulbs, gear, water changes, additives, etc) the cost vs lifespans of fish shouldn't keep someone from enjoying what they want.

15. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You make a great point lostanime, if that is what you want and you can care for it, go for it!

And yes the cost of the tank, equipment and everything else is MUCH more than the creatures!

Again I keep fresh, and have been dieing to keep a salt tank. I do know my fresh tank setup cost more than the fish in it which were not cheap by any means! Plants, equipment, the tank, stand and everything else adds up FAST! A few hundred for the Discus and Cardinals is really nothing.

And Cardinal Tetras at $4 each for 20 when you take a 10-20% mortality rate on introduction to the tank and a life span of a year or two is really short and VERY expensive.... plus you knowingly will NEVER successfully spawn and raise them... another bummer

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

any happy octopus is worth even a few weeks. they are the most fascinating creature i have ever been around. had a dwarf for over 2 years, when the expectancy in the wild is 18 months. had an atlantic, about 18 inch wingspan for about a year, killed by something in wegman's shrimp. between instant color and texture changes, amazing behaviors and just intelligence, it's an experience i'd recommend to anyone. the downsides are that you can have nothing else in the tank, and that they can get out of anything. however, if they are fed regularly and having hiding places, that will likely not happen.

17. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

We have a mimic octopus. The life expectancy is longer than two years. And he is very intelligent.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

:) Very funny and interesting thread!.Anthony & Lemon you guys are hilarious.

Scott

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I soo want to see pictures once you get one in your tank!

20. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

I will post pics later today.