1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Odd Convict pair???

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by WynterNyghtmare, Dec 3, 2009.

1. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare Thread Starter New Member

Okay, My breeding convicts have finally decided to breed again (Their second time) and it would seem that they have separated their spawn???

The Male is guarding six or so of the spawn in one corner behind a plant, while the female is guarding about one hundred of the rest in the middle near a small flower pot, and she's not liking the male very much right now, keeping him trapped in the corner.

I've heard of the the male beating up the female before but not the other way around and the splitting of the spawn is news to me, anyone heard of something like this?

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

that must be a very odd pair...i've always heard that the male was the one that got more aggessive during and right after a spawn and until now never heard of them seperating the eggs.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I dont have experience with Convicts but typically the male in the Discus world is the more aggressive fish... however I have females that will kill males (even large strong ones)

Fish are like people and each one has its own personality!

4. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare Thread Starter New Member

Well, it looks like they have finally decided to reunite the family, Both parents have made up, and are now taking care of the now free swimming fry and seem very happy, It is fun to watch them swim about and suck up a baby and return it to the herd lol, as for a odd couple, I hope to get some nice little convicts out of this batch, the dad is a black calico, and mom is a pink calico, and their last bunch didn't turn out any calico's so I was mean :twisted: and used them as feeders. Had no choice really, no one wanted any not even my LFS

Thanks for the help :)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nice to hear the seperation wasn't finalized. Lol!

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

They may have been in the process of moving the fry

rick

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

glad to here tha all is well with the "odd couple"... :D