1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Oscar with Unknown Spot (Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Spot on Oscar

Really they are chemicals but not meds. You can use those products to de-stress fish in transport too. So no they wont hurt to use. Made from plant extracts :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I stand corrected. :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I just feel as though adding ANYTHING that is not necessary should be avoided.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Precautions should always be taken to avoid further complications.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hey i watching the spot for the last few days. about 3 days ago i went to the let store... and i was talking to the guy in the fish section... he recamended that i get some coppersafe to add to the tank... which he said should chear up most parasites as well as ick.... The stop has gotten lighter.. and i think that its just a scratch that he got by rubbing against something in the tank.. thankss a lott for the repliess thou ! !

6. LemonDiscus

Did you use it.... Copper is VERY dangerous to fish and personally I only recommend it if it is truly need it. Especially if you do not have a copper test kit!

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i was gonna use it but when i got home from the petstore i noticed that i seemed to be healing a bit... so i watched it for another day and its healing.. so i knew it was just a cut... and i was told by the guy in the fish section that the stuff i got was very safe for fish.. and it cures mostly anything that the fish could get. .....and he is still growing and eats very well! !

8. LemonDiscus

Not entirely true about it being safe. Copper is a poison to fish. Some are more sensitive to it than others and the standard dose can kill some fish (not really Oscars though). When using copper there is a copper test kit, if you use it you know what the dose is.

Ich treatment the best fix is elevated heat and salt. If that dont work I go with Malachite Green/Formalin (Quick Cure). If all else fails I hit them with copper but usually the salt/heat treatment does the trick.

Be VERY careful jumping the gun and dosing your tank with meds. It is dangerous as mentioned earlier in the thread. The treatments that Anthony suggested are good to prevent illness and infections (PimaFix ,Fu-Ba Fix etc) sort of like peroxide does to humans. That is why he suggested it. Also those meds do help some if there is Ich but are not by any means a treatment for Ich. They more less treat the stress.

Again, BE CAREFUL when you diagnose fish. If you are wrong and treat the wrong thing you can kill the fish over something little. I am not trying to attack you at all for getting the treatment you did, but the treatment Anthony suggested was correct and should have been followed. As you see now Ich was not the problem and it was a cut.

If you ask a question on here and say that it seems like we are right, why would you go to a pet store that has not seen your fish but wants to sell you something? We are not here to sell anything but to use our collective knowledge-base for the good of your fish. We are not always right but I think more so than most pet stores!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

When i went to get something that would help my oscar i was just looking for something that would work well.. the guy i was talking to at the petstore seemed to know his stuff, i just grabbed the coppersafe because i didn't really know a lot of treatments for fish and he strongly recomended it and said he uses it in his aquarium .... if my fish ever actually get sick.. i'll try raising the temperature and the salt method first.. and then quickcure like you have suggested..
    thank you for letting me know about the different treatments i didn't know about before..

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I agree, avoid copper treatments at all costs.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Also, copper safe will kill snails and shrimp. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

12. LemonDiscus

No problem. I would get some MelaFix and PimaFix too. They are not used that often but do come in handy.

It is not bad to have the meds at home just in case. It saves you the trip to the pet store.

Here are useful meds I keep myself at all times or at least try to.

Fu-Ba Fix
    (same as MelaFix) - General stress reliever/antibiotic/antifungus
    Aquarium Salt - Dont treat too long on planted tanks. Treats almost everything as it relieves stress on the gills
    Malachite Green/Formalin mix (there are many brands and I have tried different ones) - Antibiotic, treats Ich/Velvet and many other things like this
    Methylene blue - Anti Fungus, actually is a dye but kills fungus
    Metronidazole (API General Cure) - Standard treatment for Heximita, aka Hole in the Head and also treats white stringy poop (internal Heximita)
    Copper - Just in case

These medications will carry you through almost any illness. Key is to start treatment for the correct family of illnesses at the right time. Many fish can be saved.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Would you like to provide us with an update on your Oscar Shane O?

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Heyyy... sorry I didn't post in a while... i was away for a bit..... my Oscars doing greattttt now!..... He has grown about a inch since my last post and he is very healthy :D

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Updated & Oscar has fully recovered.
    Thanks Shane O for the update. Absolutely thrilled to hear your Oscars are back in tip top shape!