1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Parasites ottos with parasites?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by kwheeler91, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

ive had my two ottos for months and months now. recently i noticed that their poop is a sort of stringy... not too bad but still doesnt look healthy. they have been living like this for a while now but seem to be ok. im thinking maybe a mild case of parasites? or maybe they just dont get enough to eat due to competition with my bushy nose pleco. any suggestions would help. im reluctant to treat the tank for anything because of my 7in zigzag eel ive had for a year is sensitive to medicines, especially antibiotics, although he doesnt seem to mind formalin.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Please be sure to include all of the following.

pH
    Ammonia Level
    Nitrite Level
    Nitrate Level
    Water Temperature
    Tank Size
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change
    What type of food is being used

3. kwheeler91

not sure on exact ph but it isnt above 7.4 and not below 6.5. water is pretty hard round here.
    i do regular water changes at least every week sometimes more.
    temp stays around 78-81, havent kicked on the ac yet this year so it gets a little warm somedays. they live in a planted 20 hex with a 7in zig zag eel, 11 neons, 5 embers, and a bn pleco.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What about Ammonia Level, Nitrite Level, and Nitrate Level ?

5. kwheeler91

tanks been up for months and its planted. ammonia and nitrite are always zero, im not sure about the nitrates but they cant be very high at all, ive been doing at least 25 percent waterchanges every week sometimes more often

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Is there any algae in the tank for them to feed on ? Are you supplementing their diet any ?

7. kwheeler91

algae grows all over the glass and gravel. my leaves are usually spotless thanks to them... i think

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it's all of them then I would assume parasites. If it's one or two then I would also consider bloat as a possibility.

Since it's a planted tank your options are limited. Do you have a spare tank you could move them to for treatment ?

9. kwheeler91

not at the moment... completely restocking that tank so i will be trading them to lfs soon. ill give him the heads up and im sure he can treat them, that is if they dont do better in one of his tanks