1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Our 26 Gallon bow front...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by tdauss, Jun 18, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

these guys are known to be diggers and can uproot your plants and you may see some territorial issues when they get bigger.

2. tdauss

tdauss Thread Starter New Member

thanks for the heads up.. I've read that as well... and was a concern when I decided to go to sand. I'll just have to keep an eye on him.

3. buzz4520

i've got dime size gravel in with my africans and they'll move it around as they see fit, they think they're bulldozers or something.lol

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

thats looking really good. Someway I love the new setup!

5. tdauss

thanks... I think the black sand really helps make the fish 'pop'... so far they are leaving the plants alone... I'll just keep an eye on them. cleaning the bottom is a bit of a challenge though.

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

7. tdauss

Thanks... I'm thinking of adding a peacock and maybe a giraffe. Also looking at getting a pair of standard bristlenose for this setup.

8. buzz4520

IMO i wouldn't add the peacock or giraffe, most peacocks well get about 6in and the garaffe's (venustus or livingstoni) can get to 10+ in. unless your going to upgrade tanks. i have 10 africans & 1 pleco in my 55gal and we're looking to upgrade here soon.

9. tdauss

upgrade is ultimate goal... currently looking for a 100+... this is for the juveniles and once they grow out of this tank I'll move them up.

thanks for the concern though....

10. buzz4520

just trying to pass along some helpful info...when i got into the african cichlids, didn't know much about them and took some ill advice from lfs...we bought a 20gal setup and got 20 juvie african...make along story shot, they were mixed matched and it got nasty and lost a few good looking fish. i don't want anyone else to go thru what we did if i can help it.

11. tdauss

appreciate the heads up... I've also gotten some bad advise already from the LFS... and ended up loosing an electric blue jack before I started researching on my own.

12. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Alot of LFS are just out for the money :| That's so stupid. Just a few people tend to give you good info or even know the good info

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, find a truthful one and stick to them when you need advice!
    <--Learned the hard way also!

14. tdauss

Luckily I think we've found a good one and have stuck to him when needing advise at the store... but we go into the store now with already having researched a few fish that we're looking for when we even stop in. Or stop in to look, then go back to do some research.

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Thats always best. To do extra resource yourself, Noone can know everything about every fish! Good job on doing that ;)

16. tdauss

thanks.... unfortunately it comes from being told the wrong stuff and loosing a few good fish... but now I found this forum so I hope you'll all be able to help too.

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Yeah I found that out too.. Now I'll always ask before buying :)