1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Our current 50 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by tdauss, Jun 18, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I love the livebearer fry..they are soo cute!
    Good luck with your endev. with them (though with a several females and just a few male I'm pretty sure you'll be successful)!
    Ps. would love to see photos of them

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

You gotta be carefull then. The babies will eventually breed. with their sisters or brothers :)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha! They keep it in the family.

4. tdauss

tdauss Thread Starter New Member

:) yea... if we ever end up with fry the plan is to separate them and possible trade them with the LFS. That or I guess we'll end up with hundreds.

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

:) You can trade it with alot of fish stores for credit :) At least down here

6. tdauss

I have found a few to trade with... so if we do end up with some I'll give it a try...

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

If your lfs keeps hte females in with the males theres a 95% chance the female is preggy. And if you buy both sexes you'll be 99% sure you'll get fry :)

8. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

nice looking tanks :)

9. tdauss

Thanks, they're coming along nicely.

10. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

i wish i could have a planted tank, but right now i'm going to be to busy with my new project, oh well, some day i'll have a planted one

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Planted tanks are awesome. I even like them better then saltwaters :eek: Well if the aquascaping is any good :)

12. tdauss

Unfortunately we've had quite an Ick issue lately... and we've lost a few fish :(

We've been working to contain everything and have finally got through it... We've lost:
    2 guppies, 2 gouramis, 3 palties, and our beloved black ghost knife...

Hopefully things are back to normal now and we've got this thing fixed... the next few days should tell and we'll look to add a fish or two maybe then.

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Up that temp... get the temp over 86 and keep it there for a few weeks! Ich will be GONE and wont come back until you add another sick fish!

14. tdauss

It's what we did... had the temp at 87-88 for about 2.5 weeks after we tried treating the tank for a week with meds... we think it's back to 'normal' now so we started to lower the temp again. Of course lots of water changes and gravel cleaning...

15. LemonDiscus

You should be good! That was the perfect plan of attack! Just curious... what meds did you use? Was it the Formalin/Malachite Green mixture (QuickCure)

16. tdauss

not 100% on the meds... My wife takes care of this tank... but think it was Rid-Ick.

17. LemonDiscus

FYI - I prefer salt and elevated water temp myself... I try to stay away from meds as they stress the fish a bit more than I like. BUT if you use the meds the most effective treatment IME is the Formalin/Malachite Green combo for Freshwater tanks... I read Rid-Ich uses Formaldihide and salt... IMO I would stay away from that myself... but remember my fish that I keep are HIGHLY sensitive to chemicals and quite expensive...

I stay away from copper treatment for Ich... also can be bad new especially if you have plants and inverts in your tank.. also fish may not like the copper much IME...

Still glad you dont see signs anymore!

18. tdauss

thanks for the advise... I'll remember that if we end up with another case... here's hoping that things are better and we can move on from here. :)

19. LemonDiscus

You should be if all looks well and has for a few days at that temp!

20. tdauss

It's been awhile but we had that super crappy bout of ick go through the tank... we're pretty sure it came from a couple of fish we got from a certain LFS. So needless to say, we're either not buying from there or putting everyone from there into a separate tank first...