1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

parachromis sp. la ceiba yellow heads

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Penycat, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Penycat

Penycat Thread Starter New Member

I've fallen in love with these fish! I've got a male from Ken Davis (I think F1, but haven't heard back from him about that yet) and a wild female from Jeff Rapps. These are now on the ACA CARES list because they are thought to be extinct by those that collected them.

They spawned over the summer, the juvies are now just over an inch, some a bit bigger, some a bit smaller. And they've spawned again in a 75g. Now mine I haven't had any problems with at all the 2 of them being together. Over the summer they were in a 300g tub outside with other fish and had their first spawn out there. Now they are in a 75g where they spawned again a month or so ago, fry are about 1/4 inch long. The 2 of them are mean as all get out to me or anyone that puts their finger by them, but so far have been really good to their fry and each other.

Vid of parents -

vid of the first batch of fry a few months ago -

Please excuse the music lol

2. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare New Member

Very nice, the way they are spawning they won't be endangered ofr long lol, I have never seen this species before, they look kind like a manguenese, and a Friedrichsthalii pair to me, but I can see the differences after looking at them, I'll take some of the fry if you want too get rid of some of them, I plan on a trip up to PA in feb, but can side step and pick'em up then lol, but I would deff want some if your willing.

3. Penycat

Totally willing:) I've got them coming out of my ears! I'm in NC though, not a close side trip for you. I will be in TN next week, then doing the Raleigh convention/workshop in 2010 (not sure when it'll be, Mar or Apr) and the ACA conv in WI in July. Otherwise shipping is an option:) But totally up to you if you want to make the trip.

4. WynterNyghtmare

How would we go about shipping, I did not even think of that, I can't do it until next month though. also do you think a 55g would work for two of them or maybe bigger like your 75g

5. Penycat

till they are bigger, a 55 would be fine. One thing to watch though, I've been told by other keepers of these fish that mine are a rarity that the male and female are living peacefully together and spawning with no injury. Most of those I've talked to say that they've had to keep a separator between them and let them spawn through the egg crate...I'm just lucky I guess.

With shipping, generally because of the weather I'll only ship overnight which is $30 for shipping. I use a 40hour heat pack to keep them nice and warm and just in case it goes longer than overnight. But to TN, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Unless you want to wait till they are a bit bigger and it's slighty warmer, I don't mind, totally up to you. They aren't 100% sexable yet, but I think I can tell...I'd send extras just in case as that's just me:)

Let me know what you'd like to do. I've got this spawn that I'm moving into a 110 tub/trough right now, so I've got room to winter them if you want to wait, it's no rush. The current babies that are in with the M&D are going to be moved into a 55 soon to start growing out, then I think I need to separate the parents so they can have a rest before they 'go for it' again...lol

6. WynterNyghtmare

I'm in KY if you didn't know, and I deff want some so here come the questions. I'd look'em up online but I'd rather have someone with experience educate me.

How big are they now (your oldest batch or which ever you were to send), How much are they (if I have to pay for them), How would I pay you and shipping, or just shipping if you just want to give them away (I have no experience with a buy like this), Since they're parachromis how big do they get (I hope not as big as a Dovii, if so I have to drop out of the deal), Are they compatible with other cichlids or large tetras as tank mates or are they species only, Where are they from (so I know what type of water to use, black or white water), and last but not least Whats your recommended diet...

Sorry for so many questions, I'll more than likely try and get them next month, but I'll let you know for sure when I get the money to send for them if otherwise, also I'd want females only so I won't have to worry about aggression so much... not really ready to breed larger fish yet, just tried my hand at convicts a in Oct, and was stressing out cause I didn't know how to care for the babies if Mom and Dad didn't do they're job lol

7. Penycat

If you really want the know how guys, check the aca forum under that CARES endangered list and there's a forum about them and us getting them into the cares list. If you breed them too, you can be listed under cares as well, it's pretty awesome! Anyway, they are a SAmerican fish, so like the soft/neutral water. Mine bred behind a large piece of granite in their tank, others I've read about breed in clay pots. Mostly they are very aggressive with each other from what I've read. Mine however lived with a bunch of other fish in a 300g outside tub all summer, bred, took care of their fry and didn't hurt a single other fish in there. Then I've got mine together in a bare bottomed 75g and they have not hurt each other at all. So I guess just watch them as they grow older and if you start seeing them turning aggressive, then put in a tank separator. I can tell you that when there are babies, my male is the meanest thing I've ever had...I'd pit him against a piranha and think he'd win! (being facetious here...lol) but yeah he's bit me a few times now and he's got teeth!

The juvies I've got now are just under an inch to just over an inch. I generally sell them for $8 each or $5 each for a group of 5. They aren't 100% sexable yet, but I'm learning quick about them and think I can tell some of the females. I take paypal which I can send you the email address over pm if you'd like (not sure that's allowed on open forum) The shipping, I'll double bag them, probably 3 at most to a bag depending on how many you want, I've got plenty. They are shipped in a styro with a box around that and a 40 hour heat pack to keep them warm. I also use bag buddies which turns the water blue and adds destressers and water conditioners. And I add a bit of fiber floss to take out any bad stuff like ammonia (I do fast them 24 hours before so there shouldn't be too much in the water) but in case you wonder what the little white floaty thing in there is:) And like I said, because of the cold right now, it's only safe to overnight them. My paras are right now only about 6-7 inches. not sure if they are full yet. I'll pm you with another thread that's got pics of some full grow wilds Ken pulled.

with the tank mates...when I had mine in the 300g outside tub, they were in with a school of rainbows, 2 parrot cichlids, a ghost knife, a jewel cichlid and a molly...lol They all did fine. Course that was a huge tank. I've seen others that keep them with other fish, they are aggressive, but I'd say just keep an eye on them.

They came from and I quote from Ken Davis - "one small lagoon north of La Ceiba Honduras". My water is well that's a pH of 6.5-7.0 and they seem to be very happy. I don't blacken the water like I do my angels and such, but I don't think that would hurt them (I use the IAL)

The diet...everything and anything!:) Mine eat flake, pellet, live, frozen, worms, fingers, anything, they aren't picky. The juvies I've got on froz brine shrimp (adult bs), a second size fry food from angel's plus website, flakes crushed to their size, every once in a while froz bloodworms which is amusing to see a little fish sucking on those things:) but yeah they'll eat anything.

I totally don't mind keeping them for you even till they are bigger and the weather is warmer. My overnight shipping is $30, but priority is $10, so there's a difference obviously. Totally up to you:) No problem about the questions, I love talking about my fish *grin*

8. Penycat

Just wanted to toss put an update on these guys. My pair are awesome, the male is getting huge and the female honestly has the prettiest colors I've seen...no pics, but soon maybe. I've moved them out into their 300g pond again for the summer, just them and a chocolate pleco I didn't know what to do with, lol. With pollen season just ending, I'm hoping their water will stay cleaner now after a big old water change (hopefully this week). I've got a 150g full of their juvie fry that are between 1-2 inches that are ready for sale if anyone's interested. Now buyer beware...lol I've got a 'beware of attack fish' over my para tank, it was given to me as a joke, but I use it for real with these guys! When then have fry, my male is the meanest thing I've ever had! and teeth!!! OY! every time that I did a water change, I feared for my life! But it made me love them all the more *grin*. Anyway, I hope that everyone's doing well!

Oh and, found out my male is an F1 from Ken Davis and my female is one of the wilds collected:) I got her from Jeff Rapps.

9. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 New Member

i got one from jeff rapps , very cool fish, some nasty teeth though!

10. Penycat

lol yeah, specially when there's eggs...speaking of which, I just found a clay pot in their pond full of them:)