1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Personal Experience with Koi (Not Mindless Afterall)

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by Anonymous, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Koi love
    Hehe....Here is a story for the book you wont here. The otherday I was outside by my Koi pond. I have 3 little Koi in there called Sparta, and Maddie. You see the refrance huh? Anyway Sparta jumped out of the pond and into an opening by the falls into a rock. He got stuck in there. Then A minute later I come out to find him stuck in the rocks thinking he is dead. I see his tail flap so I knew he was alive. I go to stick my hand to grab him and then Maddie Jumps up and pushes the fish through the hole COMPLETELY! I am like "WTF?" I peek in the hole but cant see anything. I move a rock and couldnt find him. I look at the pond and I see him swimming with Maddie. He was knocked through into the hose that pours the water down the falls and pushed him back into the pond. XD It seems those 2 really know what they are doing. You may think I am making this up. I am not. I always thought fish were mindless. Well I was wrong.

2. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Re: Koi love

He wasn't sucked into the pump right?

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Maybe they think it's fun, LoL

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well they have a bad description of "FUN" now dont they. They are both ok and doing great. What an experience though.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd try to block it off so it doesn't happen again.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I put my rock turtle statue there. Looks nice now. My frog sits on it from time to time since i put it there.

7. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Have any pictures?

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Unfortunately no. I havent taken pictures of my Koi pond since it was in development 6 years ago

9. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I would love to see pictures too. Fish have a lot more personality than most people realize.

I have a dry, cracked cement pond in my yard, one of the previous owners of the house built it. There's a deep area and shallow pools for bog plants as well. It doesn't hold water now, but I would love to repair it and get it going. The lilacs planted next to it have busted through the cement with their roots. For now the kids use it as a backyard hideout.

I would love for someone to write a pond setup tutorial. I have no idea what I need to get it going, other than some cement patch or black liner. A checklist would be great.

Do your pumps and such run on solar power, or did you have to run electricity out into the yard? To the best of my knowledge the old pond never had a fountain or running water.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They do have solar powered fountains. I'm sure you could hook up a solar panel and have it setup on a battery that ran an DC/AC converter to power any AC objects you wanted. It may cost a bit more in the beginning but should save you money in the long run.

I'd love to have a pond for some koi or something.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Very interesting Story, Sounds like Your fish are made for each other! :)

12. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Gold fish

I bought a very small 12 cent feeder fancy tail Gold fish to put in my plant tank. I got it incase there was any snails on my Wysteria I bought today. All I have is Tropical Fish Food and some Garlic Spirulana flakes to feed to it. Will it miss any important food by me feeding this tiny gold fish the foods I mentioned? It is so cute and tiny. I have it in my 20 long but will probably move it to my 6 gal tank which also a plant tank.

13. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Re: Gold fish

That cute little guy, if a comet, can probably get up to 24" big! I'd keep him in your nice planted 20L for a while :D

acellar.org_2002_recordgoldfish.jpg

14. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Feeders get huge. You will probably need an upgrade or a pond soon :D

15. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I'd love to have a big big tank with 5-7 full sized, fat and happy goldfish. They can live 30+ years with proper care!

16. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

wow!!! i've never been into goldfish but anyways i never knew they get that big!!

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Goldfish (Information, Questions, Suggestions)

hey i have like 4 goldfishes white and orange these were common feeders that i had for a while but not sure how long they never had babies and were in a 55 gallon tank im just wondering how do i sex/breed them thanks!

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: goldfish

As to how you sex them I do not know but I do know that they require extended periods, sometimes months, of COLD water to spawn:)

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

They also grow to be HUGE, see the picture posted on this same topic in another thread.

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Could you make a link on this thread.

You are right. Goldfish ARE NOT aquarium fish. Even the "little" Fantails grow almost a foot long (I have had them that big in a pond before).

Feeders are carp with color..... if you ever seen a carp in a lake they are by no means little fish. I used to love to fish for carp because on average they were 7-10lbs and every now and then you would find them at 15-20lbs (4 foot long)