1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Petco (All Stores)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Aug 7, 2008.

Which pet store has a better fish department?

1. 1.Petco

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. 2.Petsmart

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Petco
    Website>http://petco.com/

Petco is probaly one of the countries most knowned pet stores but when it comes down to fish it varifys.It varifys because there deals change a lot,like one day there can be a angelfish for $4 then the next day its $6.But one of the greatest deals i have were 2 three spot/blue gouramis for $2 with a petco pals card.Another great deal is a 4 line pictus catfish for only $3.99.One more thing is they should start to take more care in their tanks becuse they get cloudy and have a lot of dead fish floating.

Tip:For a healthier fish dont buy fish in a tank with other dead fish because you dont wanna bring desiesies into your tank right?

My Rating:3 Fishes
    :D :D :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't go to these places often. I think it's Petsmart that has the new setup where the fish are in the center of the store. I like that idea and their equipment selection.

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i've been stopping in at my nearest petco because they redid the whole fish dept, adding a saltwater section finally and they hired this guy that is strictly in charge of that section. he's even in there on his days off just to make sure everything is up to his standards......if he ever left petco for some reason i think i would stop going.....

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The last PetCo I went to had saltwater fish also. They actually had a pretty nice selection.

5. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah, i go there once and a while, you never know what you'll find.
    i went there one time and found a bubble tip for $10. can't beat that price!!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that is a really good price.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Both are pretty mediocre on their selection, however you will catch great deals at both. Down here petsmart has no saltwater but petco does. At the same time petsmart has a greater variety of freshwater fish, but this variety is limited to ten to twenty species of platys, mollies, guppies, and other average fish. Neither store really does a good job with cichlid selestion.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Do you find that saltwater prices are less living there ?

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That all depends you can go out fishing or diving and stock you tank with local species for nothing other than the cost to go out. I am not really familiar with the prices on saltwater species, but I would imagine that they are pretty standard maybe a few bucks cheaper if anything.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. I didn't know if you had something like a local shop that specialized in locally caught fish. Something like that would be neat.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That is a great idea, but sadly enough there isn't one single local fish store. The competition here is fierce, we have a petco, petsmart, pets+, and a pet supermarket that are all spaced in different sections in town making it very hard for a local to find a niche and survive.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's sad that these "Big Box Store" run the little local shops out.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

There is a petstore thats about 45 minutes from here that has like five tanks of your "filler fish" as I call them, neons and the like for everyone else, and then like another 20 or so more tanks with the "exotic" fish that you never see. The store has everything from high end small dogs to monkeys in the store. I need to take a trip down there but with gas prices so high its almost worth getting things shipped. On top of that its like 100 and humid as hell down here right now!

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That sounds like an interesting store.

Gas prices are crazy!

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tropicisleaquarium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tropicisleaquarium.com/</a>

here's a link to my lfs, they're only 15 min. away from me....
    good selection, but they're pricey with some things.

16. caronsd

caronsd New Member

In my experience the fish departments depend on the people working them. My local Petco is great for healthy good looking fish at good prices. I also have 2 super walmarts with 30 minutes of me, 1 has terrible unhealthy fish, the other has amazing fish at it. The one with the better fish has a very experienced person working their fish and he takes great pride in the health of all the fish he cares for. ( He even breeds some of the fish for fun and gives them to frequent customers because they cant sell fry)

17. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

the deal with the petco here in Va my end not Ant's end is that all of the aquariums have the cup full of aquarium salt in them, which is harmless to most fish but is the first line of D fence aganist parasites and such which makes me wonder where they get their fish from and the quality of the stock if they have the salt waiting in the tanks for the fish?

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I dont like the way that Petco here takes care of their fish (cichlids) The Oscars seemed to be deformed, the tetras had several dead ones in the tank, the plants are loaded with snails (like roaches) and the tanks did not look too good as far as water quality.

Petsmarts around here take really good care of their fish. What I find odd is most of the employees who work in the fish department are nitwits. I asked for PH 6.5 and one of the employees asked me, why do you need PH 6.5? You dont need that you need to buffer up to PH 8 - 8.5 without even asking what kind of fish I had (must have assumed I had Africans). When I did tell here she asked "What are Discus? I never heard of them."

My wife also wanted a dog a few months ago so we got one and she tried using the engraving machine, we got our tokens and the machine carved but did not eject the tag. This blonde girl said "Let me get some more tokens and I will try it". She walked up to the machine and tried to put the tokens in the return slot and said "The machine is not taking the tokens now!" about 30 seconds later I said the money goes in the top slot. Embarrassed she sad "Oops" and tried what we did. It engraved over top the engraved tag left in there and she said, "I guess it does not work".... Like DUHHHH that is what we just said!

Like I said SOMEHOW a bunch of nitwits can take care of the store, I have no idea how but they seem to do fine. Just dont EVER ask for anything or for advise as they may tell you to put Iodized Table Salt in your freshwater tank to reduce stress. No wonder aquarium newbies who listen to them wind up with dead fish and quit messing with fish.

19. yikesjason

yikesjason New Member

Petsmart has a better selection of supplies by far. But I try to avoid buying fish there though. The LFS normally has prices just as good and the fish are a lot safer.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Do they have body guards at your lfs or do they give each new fish a lil burner?