1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Petco (All Stores)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Aug 7, 2008.

Which pet store has a better fish department?

1. 1.Petco

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. 2.Petsmart

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, when I complained about a filter I purchased from PetSmart is Charlottesville I contacted the corp office. They got things resolved and gave me a $20.00 giftcard for my troubles and time lost.

I don't think the BBB would be able to do much.

PETA may work. :)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.peta.org/about/c-report_cruelty.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.peta.org/about/c-report_cruelty.asp</a>

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Here's this as well.

If you have concerns about a PETCO store, please—in addition to letting us know by e-mailing EmilyA@peta.org—call PETCO's customer hotline at 1-888-824-PALS and/or e-mail PETCO at AnimalsFirst@PETCO.com. For after-hours complaints, please call PETCO at 858-453-7845, extension 5858. When calling PETCO's hotline, please be sure to obtain an incident number and ask for the name of the person you speak with.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Lol, Yeah I think PETA may.... I actually just called the Corporate Customer Service 800 (888) number and filed a complaint! Maybe it may do something! I dont even want ANYTHING from that store.... even if they paid me to take it! I just dont want to see hundreds of fish suffer because of negligence on a pet store!

Fish have lives too!!!!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I just watched a video on the PETA.org site about Rainbow World Exotics (Where they purchase their small animals). WOW I'm sick and feel horrible after watching it. I've never purchased anything other than supplies and fish from there so I feel better that I didn't support it in any way.

5. LemonDiscus

Apparently PETA and Petco have a relationship with one another (more so an agreement!) This was from them selling large birds (My parents used to breed birds of all sizes and I considered doing it myself as it is good money, but chose never to do it as there are TOO many older large birds that nobody wants or can care for!).

That said I did agree with that myself. Too bad they never looked at the fish!

6. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

The bunny video brought tears to my eyes

7. TowGuyBri

TowGuyBri New Member

The Petco in Portsmouth/Newington NH is okay, although not much selection for saltwater fans. Overall :D :D 2 out of 5. On the other hand the Petco in Manchester, NH gets a :D :D :D :D 4 out of 5, the person in charge of the fish department is well versed in both fresh and salt, always a great selection, even macro-algae available at that location.

8. davidb173

davidb173 New Member

First of all I worked at PetsMart for 8 years.I only left because the store director had me wrote up for not doing someone elses job and at 9.69 they would not give any more raises-even a cost of living.They do have a better fish selection but the reason the varieties is so limited is due to the area directors.They would not let us order but certain species even though they were available.People do get bored with the bread and butter fish after a while.
    Second-We have two Petcp's in the area.The one in Kernersville has a very sorry fish department.They have diseases every time I go in there so I don't buy from them any more.The other one is a 30 minute drive into Greensboro.they have healthier fish but I was in there yesterday and no one even offered to wait on me,to tell me hello, or nothing.I saw 1 guy at the register and that was it.I finally just walked out.I did notive the prices were different between the stores.I have contacted corporate about the problems but they don't care.

9. LemonDiscus

Oh, After contact with Petco Corporate, I still have not received a response from the store. I still yet to go back and see if it is still as bad as it was!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow really ? I received a response within 2 days of contacting corp.

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

So an update on the ich I saw in the cichlid/goldfish section in a local petco. I went in there again after a week or so, and everything seemed to look better. The other day I went down there to check prices on some supplies for my saltwater setup and noticed that the oscars were once again covered with ich. So much for taking care of the problem... If I really felt like it would make a difference, I'd complain to their corporate office, but I really dont think they will care. People will continue to buy fish from there, and I'm sure the suits in corporate only care about the $$ and not the lives of their animals they sell.

12. LemonDiscus

Must be nice! Nope, nothing. I still have to find a minute to get back down to the store. I need some more frozen bloodworms but I WILL NOT buy them from the Petco and well, the Petsmart is on the other side of town. Maybe I might go tonight and stop by another Petsmart for the bloodworms that is about a mile from the Petco. I am interested if they fixed the problem. If not I may talk to someone there!

13. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

I was glad to see a PetsMart open in the C'ville area. Not much I'd buy, fish-wise, except plecos, but the filter media are affordable, and I can buy frozen brine shrimp in a 2lb package. Some of the staff know their stuff; the guy who seemed to be running the dept would refer people to me if I was around. :confused:
    We had a terrific LFS here, Charlottesville Aquarium. John, the owner, got to know me and my tanks; I'd buy fishes and bring him fishes. He'd suggest critters from his new stock, and tell me when something wouldn't be appropriate with my current stock. He was ethical, honest, and friendly, and
    unfortunately, lost all of his stock (lots and lots of marine stuff like live corals and other fragile critters) in a massive power outage that went on here for three days or more. He closed his doors shortly afterwards. :cry:
    We've had Pet Forum here for 30+ years, with mixed reviews on my part. The original owner, Pete, was an African cichlid maven, but not a nice guy. His daughter Katherine, who ran the store for a while with her husband, was knowledgeable and very pleasant.
    Mixed bag now; some folks who know their stuff, and some who will tell you that pacu don't get bigger than 5 inches.
    I buy my dry food from Jehmco or Ken's, online.

14. ricksreef

ricksreef New Member

Our local petco is a great place. Guy who runs fish dept cares about fish so I bet that is what makes the main difference. Prices at petco are cheap too!