1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Petsmart (Not Happy)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Leslie, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

Re: Not happy!!!!!

i was going to do that today. i hope i dont have to go back to petsmart.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Hope not.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am confused I thought you were mad because you thought your fish were going to die, and from what I understand they are now looking and doing better. So why are you still angry with petsmart? Im not condoning them taking a long time between your selections of the fish but this is the risk you sometimes run when you decide you want more fish, trust me I have this problem everytime and have to force myself to leave the store! If you do complain on the other hand they will most likely give you a discount.

4. Leslie

ok. i just changed some water outta the tank. fish are still looking good.

5. Jake

Jake Administrator

keep that up for the next few weeks

6. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Please test your water before you put them in this time. Also check to see what ph those fish need to live in. Some need higher ph then others. When you bring them home test the water they are in, then test your water too. Some times you have to add only a tablespoon of water at a time if the Ph is much lower then your ph. Please make sure all your fish can live in the same ph and temp before you get them. Also I always add aquarium salt to my aging water for the bettas. I don't know if yours will need a little salt or not.I don't know anything about the fish you bought. Good luck and I hope the replacements make it fine. Note: The tanks usually have the ph and temp listed on them for the fish. Anyway the ones around here do.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Pet stores like PetCo and Petsmart keep their fish at a pH of 7.0.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

some fish i got from petsmart like silver dollars they look like there dying but 2 days later the silver dollar was schooling with the other silver dollars.I guess with schooling fish you gotta wait a little.But Frogs dont move a lot myne is lazy and only comes out at night.

9. Leslie

the fish are doing good today. i think it was the ride home. now i think they are trying to breed. the male is chasing the females.im going to go try to get a test kit if i can find it today.

10. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Leslie, I am glad to hear your fish are doing fine today. ;)

11. Leslie

somebody finally called mo today. they are giving me a giftcard so i can get the rest of the stuff i need. i cant seem to find the ammonia or the other stuff here. maybe there when i go.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that's good.

What do you mean you can't find the ammonia and other stuff ?

13. Leslie

to test my water.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh, you can't find the test kit at the store ?

15. Leslie

all i can find is the strips. and i cant even find the nitirtes stuff no where. i dont know why either. i even stopped at this pet store and they didnt havnt any.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's odd. Petco and Petsmart both usually carry several test kits. Ask for a master freshwater kit.

awww.petco.com_Assets_product_images_3_317163010341C.jpg

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2754034</a>

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Petco should have one for like 18 and another for 30ish, I just bought mine the other day. The 18 dollar one has pH, Nitrates, and ammonia tests. The 30 dollar one I am not sure what was different, it might ave just been more tests in the box?

18. Leslie

there is no petco here. i see comercial all the time but there isnt one. i will have to go to petsmart then.

19. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I use the 5 n 1 test strips and they have been accurate enough where none of my fish have ever died or been stressed because of any ammonia in the tank or anything else that would stress them. I use to use the liquid ph and Ammonia test kits, but like the 5 n 1 best.

20. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Walmart sells ammonia test strips, which are a separate test kit from the 5 in 1 test strips which test ph, nitrates, nitrites, hardness and ... something else :). Not the most accurate but will do the trick in a pinch. I used them for my tank start up.

For a new tank setup, you will first need to watch for ammonia buildup and test daily. You will see the ammonia level spike, then fall to 0 as the bacteria needed to break down ammonia into nitrites grow.

When the ammonia rises, then begins to drop, start looking for nitrites with the 5 in 1 test strip. This level will also spike, then begin to drop as a different set of bacteria is needed to break down the nitrites to nitrates.

If you add several live plants to your tank and don't overstock, you will probably not have to worry much about the nitrate levels after that.

When I started my 29 gal, I tested and did small water changes daily. When going through ammonia or nitrite spikes, I did 50% water changes daily. My tank cycled in 6 weeks. Once cycled, you can back off your testing and water changes.

If you can find it, an Ammonia Alert card by Seachem is helpful in watching your ammonia levels. It is a little plastic card that you stick to the side of your tank. It changes color within 15 minutes of ammonia buildup and lasts several months, and can help save you from doing constant ammonia testing.