1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

ph question- Angels & Kribs?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by FishVixen, Feb 13, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

My 29 gal tank cycled in less than 3 wks Readings 0-0-5 for past 3 days. My ph though stays between 6.4 and 6.8. I would like Angels and Kribs is this ph to low and if it is how can I raise it naturally without chemicals? I do have 1 16"x12" piece of driftwood in tank and and 12" airstone. Ordered 20 plants that will come in next week how will this affect my ph?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd monitor those readings for another week to make sure your good to go.
    Take your time acclimating (as with anything) and angels should be fine...I've only kept kribs years back and as such can't recall what pH I even had them at so won't comment there.
    It's always a smart idea to find out the parameters of the water from where your inhabitants have recently come from.

As for raising the pH..that will be a constant battle imho. Once you muck with it you will always have to muck with it (partials/top off).

Driftwood lowers pH and can stain water with tannins and airstone is fine.
    Baking soda will raise pH--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.armhammer.com/basics/magic/#8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.armhammer.com/basics/magic/#8</a>

Oh, and Plants will provide additional oxygen and a more natural setting for ANY inhabitant.

3. FishVixen

Thanks Dawn, So far so good. Plant are being shipped out on tues so should have them this week. Bought a pkg deal off aquabid so do not know what coming in. We will see. At a temp of 84 hopefully some of the plants survive.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your gonna keep angels at 84f? (When I had them I did 78-80F)

at 84F you're gonna have a heck of time with plants...will be on almost the same level as my discus tank (Rotalla Wallichi, Hornwort, Moneywort, Wisteria) dependant on your lighting.

5. FishVixen

Thats what it's at now . Will start to slowly lower to 80. Thanks again

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I did my Angel tanks at 84-86 just like the discus and BOY DO THEY THRIVE at that temp!!!

Dawn... you know the plants are not THAT hard! You have more types than I do thriving in that warm water! ;)

7. FishVixen

Well I guess it's just plant and pray! LOL Going to keep temp at 84 it's stable at that and so far I have 2 swords doing well for 2 weeks now. Both have spouted 3 new leaves since i put them in.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not that plants are difficult..you just moreso have to experiment with them and be prepared for losses along the way. (as with anything in this hobby) Lol!

Just keep in mind at higher temps that you have to have enough oxygen (aeration). With a bunch of plants and proper filtration /air stone you should be good to go already!

9. FishVixen

Expecting casualties with higher temp. LOL

Is there a Doctor in the house? LOL

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

umm..*looks around for the micro tubing and fish cpr kit* HaHa!

11. FishVixen

Quick! Break the heater and give electro shock therapy! :eek: LOL

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I have a tank that is at 86, the discus tank, I got quite a few very very nice warm water plants in there.

Raising Ph is a bit of a pain but it can be done, driftwood is known to lower the Ph just a smidge, I think crushed coral can raise it a bit but maintaining it is another story.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Just ran across this thread. Why are you wanting to RAISE the pH for Angel's ?

14. FishVixen

Well when I posted this I thought (there I go thinking again instead of research) the ph needed to be higher if I wanted angels, Well I know better now. I don't have the angels yet but have a great pair of kribs he's 4 1/2 " and she's 3 1/2".Tank is doing great. Increased my lighting for plants and they are taking off. Now water is a slight (very slight) shade of green so I think I'm starting an algae bloom. So ph is not effective the tank at all It's stable at 6.8 Hey I've only had the tanks for a little over 2 months I'm trying and still in the "I don't want to do anything wrong" stage. :)

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okie dokie. Was just making sure you weren't told something incorrect.

16. FishVixen

Thanks Anthony. That's why I like this forum someone always checking up.