1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Plant Spacing

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by greg curtis, Mar 10, 2009.

1. greg curtis

greg curtis Thread Starter New Member

Plant Spacing

Maybe some of you guys with planted tanks can give me some advice. I plan on using Amazon Swords, Crypts, Jungle Vals and Anubias Nana in my 90g. How far apart should I space them when I plant to leave room for sideways growth without them getting all tangled up with each other.

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Of those listed, only the Jungle Val will propagate via lateral shoots. Some of these shoots will be fairly lengthy until you seperate them.

The Amazon will send up a stalk in which the baby plants will emerge. They get rather bushy when adults so you should probably allow for a few inches in diameter when growing this guy.

The crypts will just grow in a clump. You will basically have to uproot the plant and seperate the nodes to get new plants. Spacing will depend on what you like. I have a tank where I have four (2) greens and (2) bronzes about an inch apart which creates a nice bushy look. Others I keep spaced apart like the red wendtii for a differnet look.

The Anubias is kind of in the same league of the crypts where you will split the rhizome. These are best attached to driftwood or rocks.

3. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

That Jungle Val will take off once established. Make sure you plant it somewhere you have access to it because your going to have to cut the runners off at least once a week to keep it from taking over. If you can try to make a wall around the area you don't want it to grow. It will still probably grow over the wall but it will be easy to cut those runners off.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

James already hit this one on the head. So here's my condensed version...
    Swords Wide and can starve others out for light, Crypts can be bushy or compact...DO NOT move from initial planting spot or can suffer from melt/rot and fertilize from the roots (ie. plant tab 2-3"inches from them), Vals tall and spreads to the sides, Anubias Nana get about 6" max ACROSS the top (spans) and can be mounted to driftwood (fishing string).

5. greg curtis

Thanks guys, I guess I learn something everyday I get on this board. To sum it up space the swords wide, crypts go in closely spaced clumps, and keep an eye on the vallisneria for growth. Anubias get attached to rock or driftwood with fishing line. Learned a little more today!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Good Job
    *passes out gold star to Greg*
    You learn quickly my friend :)

7. greg curtis

I hear ya Dawn, my momma didn't raise any fools!

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

;)

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

With crypts, you can pretty much do what you want with them. It all depends on the look you are trying to achieve. But, if you have a few different varieties of them, it could make for a nice display if they are fairly close together. Critters like kuhli's and shrimp like the spacing underneath when created this way.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You can usually judge where to put them by their max size and knowing whether they get tall..or spread out wide.

11. greg curtis

Keep the knowledge coming guys I'm like a sponge, super absorbent style! With 260w of light I don't want to go with a co2 system. I'd rather add Flourish Excel periodically instead for my supply of co2. Will that work out okay.

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Depends on the tank. If it is on your 120, your on the edge of needing Co2. Excel is kind of an option but will melt some plants such as Vals.

13. greg curtis

Its a 90g James

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

Hovern right near that 3wpg mark. Depending on what plants you decide to go with, you may need to think about it. ;o)

15. greg curtis

Thanks much James.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you defin. can do the excel!
    I have a 90..same lighting 2.88wpg..planted..blah blah blah
    I have a uv running 24/7 because I had a green water issue when it was first setup.

I'm currently dosing flourish excel every other day (following the rec. dosage amt. on the bottle)

Dosing flourish every week (following the rec. dosage amt. on the bottle)

Dosing flourish iron (only when it looks lacking <ie. new stems yellow>) Only used it like twice since I've had the tank.

Here's a link to the recent photos..some things have changed since then though (pre-filter sponge, breeding caves/logs, etc)
    90 gallon Planted Community Tank with Eco-Complete

17. greg curtis

Thanks Dawn, thats want I wanted to hear as CO2 is a pain in the neck to have to use. Just another thing to worry about. Tank looks pretty cool!

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

Just remember the type of plants you want to keep Greg. Vals will be out. Gotta find my list. Time to feed the squirrels a couple more peanuts to speed up the puter.