1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Planted 5g Hex (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Want to turn 5 gallon hex to planted
    Ok, so i've got an empty 5 gallon hex that is empty and i want to put a few guppys in it. Would some gravel work ok for the plants, and what kind of low light plant would be ok to go in a 5 gallon with a 15 watt light

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Re: Want to turn 5 gallon hex to planted

Gravel is perfect since you can use them to put the plants in,, Please note that plants also need food I use Aqua plant grow it's not what in the picture but it looks close like it though,, :) You just put em under the plants and you wont have to feed em for about 4 months then you have to replace it, Most plants grow pretty much you should ask your local pet shop for that :)

Also you should get male guppys only since you cant handle their fry :) A few would be fine ;)

Oh and I saw you want to get angelfish in your 10 gallon,, They might be fine when the're little but they grow really big In a really short time,, You should ask your pet store if you can trade the bigger for smaller ones ;)

Last but not least, what happened to your betta :O?
    702.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You can splurge with something as small as a five!
    I'd go one of the following at a depth of about 3" (yep, their in order from most favorite to least favorite):
    A)Eco-complete planted <because theirs no need to rinse and is natural looking like potting soil>
    B)Seachem Flourite (Dark/Black/Red/Reg)
    C)Aquarium Pharmaceuticals First Layer Pure Laterite
    D)CaribSea Aquarium sand (Carib Sea Black Tahitian Moon Sand)
    C)Carib Sea Super Natural Peace River

Next, your lighting is roughly classified as moderate-high IF you follow the wpg formula (15 total watts÷5 gallons= 3watts per gallon of water roughly). If your buying at somewhere such as Petsmart I'd recommend low-medium light plants.

On to the plants, Here's a few that you should be able to grow without much hassle:
    *not in any particular order*
    -Brazilian Pennywort (back of tank);Est Max height 23";Fast grower
    -Purple/Green Cabomba (back of tank);Est Max height 20";Fast Grower
    -Water Wisteria (back of tank);Est Max height 20"
    -Dwarf Onion Plant (back of tank);Est Max height 20"
    -Green Hygro (back of tank);This stuff grows really fast!
    -WaterSprite (middle of tank);Est Max height 12"
    -Cryptocoryne x willisii "Lucens" (middle of tank);Est Max height 6"-10"
    -Crypt wendtii (middle of tank);Compact grower
    -Ophiopogon japonicus (middle of tank)-;->Est Max height 4"
    -dwarf water clover (front of tank);Est Max height 1"
    -Anubias nana petite (front of tank);Slow low grower
    -Narrow Leaf Java Fern (attach to driftwood/rock/decor with fishing string or gum band);Est Max height 8"
    <>SideNote: If you buy pretty much any type of crypt you'll want to get root tabs for them, also be sure you like where their placed in your tank initially because they can and will "melt" if you move them.
    ALSO, any of your "Slow" growing plants will obviously be more prone to algae growth in comparance to your "Faster" growers.

Their are plenty of plants you can put in there, my suggestion is to look at pictures of them and make yourself a map of where EVERYTHING (including equipment) will go in your tank when you finally decide.

And for the inhabitants, Might I suggest to add the following with guppies or a single male betta:
    3 otocinclus
    1 mystery snail
    or possibly some dwarf corydoras

-->Make sure you have a heater in the tank, put the light on a timer for ease, and run a filter (unless you plan on using the plants).

4. California Cowgirl

ok, i'll deffinetnly get the food for the plants. And during a water change both my betta and guppy jumped out of my net and fell behind my dresser :( and their still there as i can't move the dresser because it's so heavy

5. California Cowgirl

awesome that will deffienently help, i plan on using the 5 gal as a tester tank as i will like to make my 10 gallon a planted as well. I have about 6 african dwarf frogs, i know i can't have sand in there because there would be a chance of them inhaling it when eating stuff of the ground. If i get a type of gravel, should they be ok with it with plants even though the breed of frogs are known to swollow(sp haha) anything they can fit in their mouths

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Ah I feel sorry for you,, Thats so stupid you cant reach themm else you could've saved them =/

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

make sure it's REALLY large gravel then. Knowing froggers, I'd do eco-complete since it's basically dirt.

8. California Cowgirl

i know :( i really liked them too

9. California Cowgirl

ok :D i think the frogs would love a planted tank more than the fish since they stay at the bottom anyways

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Here's a bit of frogger info I came across, thought you might like to read it:
    Lifespan and Max size:Roughly up to 18 years! and 2.5"
    Substrates:Don't do the really large clunky stuff like marbles or the big river stones, they can get stuck under/beneath it. I've read that sand is actually ok, that their too small to stir it up into your filter intake...but i've read that they can still ingest it. Don't place the substrate all flat and level...do little dips here and there.
    Plants:They can be kept with any type of plant since they are non-destructive and do great with even the most delicate plants.
    Their preferred plant of choice tends to be the anubias nanas-apparently the
    thick leaves create the perfect cover for them to hide within.
    Hiding spots are crucial to their well being, it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy :)
    Decorations:Driftwood, Choya wood, Solid large undyed scattered rocks that are completely smooth, tiny terra cotta pots laid on their side for caves, background-cover back and both sides for skittish froggers--nothing that can topple onto them)
    Filtration:Skip the airstones and high current, these guys and gals are sensitive to vibration...so overkill filtration is a no no if it disturbs the water. For a tank your size people are recommending Whisper Powerfilters-claiming they are the quitest of all the internal power filters and that they have the least amount of surface disturbance. If the intake slots are big your definitely going to want to put a pre-filter sponge over it.
    Lighting:Not necessary, but if wanted for better viewing put light on a timer with light being on for about 10hours and off for about 10hours.
    Ideal Water Temperature:75F with PH of 7.6-7.8
    Maintenance:25% water change once every week using a siphon and adding a dechlorinator such as Prime to replacement water
    Foods:Live guppy fry : or any type of livebearer fry, Frozen or Freeze Dried Brineshrimp, Frozen or Freeze Dried Bloodworms or Glassworms, HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites, Reptomin, Gammarus, Frozen Beefheart, Frozen or Freeze dried krill or baby shrimp, Earthworms or nightcrawlers choped into small bite sized pieces, Daphnia
    Feeding Ideas: a)Place a small terra cotta plate at the bottom of the tank and place the food on it by means of putting the food into a cup with a bit of water...then drawing the food in the water up into a turkey baster..and finally slowly releasing it onto the plate--this supposively teaches them to goto the plate for food and keeps the mess to one spot. b)Consistently feeding in the same spot and tapping on the glass just prior to dropping the food in. Ex: always put food in the far front right corner at 10a and 6p c)Hand feed them by placing the food between your fingertips..if they spook just slowly follow them with the food. They'll be able to smell it and will eventually come for it!...if your not that brave you can turkey baster feed them...squeeze the food just over their heads.
    They hunt by smell and don't have good eyesight.
    Cleanup Crew:corydoras, octocinciclus catfish, mystery snail

11. California Cowgirl

awesome thank you for all the info :D i'm still trying to decide if i want to turn any of the tanks planted which i really want to do, but right now money is deffienently an issue right now, so it may have to wait until i can get the majority of my credit card paid off i owe over 700 on it and i only make close to 1k a months :p

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wish that was all I owed my credit card company, but that's another story! Lol!
    If you want to start slow go with your fast growers...stick one in such as the cabomba and let it grow to about 8"...then you can clip it in half and replant. This stuff grows 1"-2" a day in my tank and I'm running out of places where I would want to plant it!

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm telling you! this stuff is filling my tank incredibly fast...and I like the purple tinge that it gets to the top of it. It waves nicely in the water current...and the fish love to hide between stems of it. If you want a fast growing plant to fill a tank I'd go with this one! I really don't add anything to my water either...and this stuff is still growing like a monster.

14. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

My Cabomba does not really do well.... Guess it is my water parameters. Its not dead but it doesnt really grow. Not one of my most successful plants.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Maybe it's due to your lighting...remember I have 2.88 watts per gallon counting the 50/50 bulbs without using co2 (I've basically completely phased out the additives).

16. LemonDiscus

I dont know really. I have 1.5 watts per gallon (remember though that I have 125 gallons to light)

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

probably the lighting (not enough)...that and the depth (can't remember the depth of the 125 in comparison to the 90g).

18. LemonDiscus

I dont think it is as deep as a 90.... off the top of my head I think it is like 21" or so to my substrate from the waters surface

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my 90 measures 48.5"W X 18.5"D X 25"H...and theirs about 3" of substrate.

20. LemonDiscus

Yeah, that is a bit taller than a 125 (not much though)