1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Planted 5g Hex (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Re: Want to turn 5 gallon hex to planted

ok, i'll check out the pea-gravel, my stables used that stuff for my horse's stall for bedding, so i'll try to get that stuff, and a lot left over is good for my 10 gallon

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You'll defin. be able to do both with a bag (rinse the heck out of it)...it will look completely natural like a river bottom. If you have a small piece of driftwood you can anchor it and tie on some moss/java fern and your all done!

3. California Cowgirl

driftwood and java moss is what i'd like to do, my only worry with pea gravel is how small it is for the frogs, and i forget if it's smooth or not, because if the subtrate isin't smooth it could injure them

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you can do bare bottom with the frogs, if you really want plants in with them do potted..or pot some on your own in those tiny terra cotta pots you can get at walmart for under a buck. Use the pea gravel to hold the plants in place INSIDE the terra cotta plant pots.

5. California Cowgirl

ohhh i could do that, and the pea gravel would weigh the pot down so i can do that, but wouldn't the tank look bad with the pots in there not burried, or should it not matter

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It's all up to your taste? You could place decorations in front of the pots if that is what you are worried about?
    Or you could place them in corners or along the back wall for visuals...again, up to your taste/ budget.

7. California Cowgirl

hmm i'm wondering if i should lean towards sand if that would be easier, but a pian to clean, or i might just see what petsmart has, i still have to wait a couple weeks though for my paarents to chill out before i add anything to the tank

8. California Cowgirl

well, i'm off to bed, i've got to get up early for work tomorrow. And i'll deffinentley look into your suggetions

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sand isn't bad to clean? Just lightly siphon about 1/2" above it...and remember if you touch the surface and aren't quick about going over that your going to pull some of it out. <--Did CaribSea Sand and Poolfilter sand.

10. California Cowgirl

kk maybe i just do it too close withh my puffer's, i think i'll end up trying the caribsea or whatever it's called sand but i'll also look at what other subtrate they have

11. California Cowgirl

so i ended up getting a flourescent light today from wallmart with a wattage of 10, i went to the petsmart by there and saw that they had some flourite subtrate and some plants and they actually had a grass plant and some tall plants as well, so when i get the money i guess i will buy that stuff and the flourite was really expensive like 25 bucks for a bag

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you'll have to rinse the heck out of it. (flourite)

13. California Cowgirl

ok, so would the carabisea or whatever it is be easier then

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Caribsea would be easier as far as rinsing goes (has nothing benefi. like eco-complete planted/flourite). IF i were you I'd check around online, many times you can get it delivered to your door cheaper than going to the store. And more times than not you can score coupon codes for things such as free shipping or a percentage off your total. I know that was the case when I got my eco-complete.
    IF you tell me which substrate you really want and how many bags/lbs are needed I can poke around for you (I'd probably need your zip pm'd if you want it with the shipping included into the estimate). Up to you though, depends on how much of a hurry you are in ...in getting the substrate that is.

15. California Cowgirl

ok, i'm not in a hurry right now, lol my mom is getting better at the whole making the tanks planted thing. We went shopping today and went to walmart and petsmart since they were right next to each other. She was like (here's the light bulbs you need) and she looked at the plants that they had, but they weren't in good shape and had a lot of algae growing on them. So then we went to petsmart to look for snails for my puffer which we didn't find any and she was actually looking at the plants and isle where flters and what not are. She still says i need to wait becaus of not having much money and almost maxed out on my credit card. But she's not as pissed as she was when i first told her, which was amazing

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

She's just trying to keep you in line and from over doing it when it comes to purchases. Since she more than likely doesn't think plants are a necessity.
    Ask her help in picking them and opinions on which ones she likes. THat may help?

17. California Cowgirl

haha yup you hit it right on, she thinks al this fish stuff is a waist of money, and thinks i should keep the tanks how i have it. And i'll deffinentley keep in mind of her picking out plants, but then again, she may have no intrest

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--is a mother too so can understand where she is coming from.
    She has no interest in the hobby/nor understands your fascination with it and probably wishes you would have saved the amount spent on tanks away for a "rainy" day. Some mom's may turn around if you involve them in the process of selecting things or asking things such as you have a good eye for decorating mom, can you help me figure out how to landscape my tank.
    Then explain the color choices of substrates and maybe some of the colors of fish and where they'll swim (top middle bottom).
    Food for thought!

19. California Cowgirl

kk, with her being all against the tanks, she has gotten better about it, very slowly. Like every now and then she'll go up and check on them, mainly my 10 gal since that's the one with the most fish. And she may like to help with the landscaping, so i could ask her for help there, since i already have an idea of what i would like for plants, and frogs i already have in there. I showed her some angels at the store that i really liked, and she actually took some interest in those as well. But i can't have them in my tanks, even though they must have been fry since they were so small

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds good, just toss the offer out there for her to have a chance to be involved in some way. If she's anything like most mom's....she'd be happy to have the chance to "bond" even if it is just assisting you with your tank. Lol!