1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Planted 5g Hex (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Want to turn 5 gallon hex to planted

No problem. Anytime:)

2. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

it's getting closer until i can start my planted tanks :D i think next week i'll be cashing in some savings bonds to pay of my credit card, so that would be the majority of the credit card paid off, then only like half a pay check more to pay the rest, then i'm free to start making it planted! and my mom is now totally cool with it once it's paid off! :D

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thats good to hear (try to tuck $10-$20 a pay away for emergencies).
    Sorry,,it's the mom in me. Lol!

4. California Cowgirl

lol, i will, i'm going to set a limit on what i can spend, especially since i don't want to come back to the posistion that i am at right now, it's to stressfull i have a 1k limit on my credit card, and i have to keep $300 available for school, so i don't want to spend more than $200 total for both tanks, i noticed that the eco-complete online has 25lb bags, that are a little pricey, would one bag be enough for a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon, or would i need 2?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html
    That will help you.
    You can go with the pea gravel from walmart (huge bag is about $5 in the outdoor lawn and garden section). No worries about it clogging your filter intake and I believe from what I remember of it the pieces would be too big for the frog to swallow (or you can toss it in the terra cotta planters as suggested previously).

6. California Cowgirl

ok, i'll check that out, lol and if i can get the stuff as cheap as possible, my parents wont be mad hehe, especially since they've been mad at the tanks right now, oh, and now i have 5 tanks, which my 5th one was my hex for my frogs, and now i've turned it into a sick tank, or possibly feeder tank, especially if i get ahold of some snails, and maybe throw in some ghost shrimp, although i'm not going to have any filter, light, or heater in the tank, all thats in there is rocks and water :p

7. California Cowgirl

also, is the aquarium plant website that you have suggested before not too expensive

8. California Cowgirl

so im thinking that i will be doing the Iwagumi style planted tank as it looks like everything stays small and that's what i need i'm really liking the looks of the tanks

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Not sure. you can google and click the shopping for prices. Then if you find a good price you can always google the store for coupons to make sure their aren't any promos (at least that's what I do).

10. California Cowgirl

ohhhh that's a good idea never thought of trying to find coupons for stuff online

11. California Cowgirl

oh i also have a flourescent light on my 10 gallon, we bought the light with the tank probably 10 years ago back when i was a kid and had the fish tank up. Light works perfectly, so i don't wantt to get a new one, but my problem is that i don't know what wattage it is

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

should say on the bulbs

13. California Cowgirl

So i got some sand today for the tank, it's Caribbean Sand, it says it's for corals, but i guess it will work for freshwater as well, this way too, if i decide that i want to make my 5 gall planted, i can, i've got the light, and the sand i need, and i ended up having to get another 5 gallon tank today because i accidentley cracked the tank

14. California Cowgirl

oh yea! and a snail was in the sand! noticed it once i got the tank up and running, guess i'll keep it in there to take care of the algae, sicnce the new light i've been had really bad algae problems

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

depends on the kind of snail. If it's those tiny pesky ones that are about 2/16" one alone can reproduce--quicly overfilling your tank like the plague.

Carib Coral Sand (if it's the one I'm thinking of with aragonite) has buffering agents and will even increase your ph. It has to do with the additives in it!

I'd take that back imo. and get yourself pool filter sand.

16. California Cowgirl

since it's already in the tank, if i use some ph down, and frequent 50% water changes, should it be ok

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Not sure, I've only used the arg. mixed in with a saltwater tank to buffer it.
    This is where Anthony or someone else who may have experience should jump in.
    *If they don't, try pm'ing Anthony to see if he knows/can find out*

18. California Cowgirl

ok, i hope it will be ok, my parent's will be pissed if i got the wrong sand and put it in already, it was $10 i got 2 5 lb bags, so i will probably be able to return the 2nd one if i have too

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Youch! You coulda got a 20Lb bag of Eco-Complete for that price <$19.99>(Which is what I use on my planted).

Shipping goes by price and for orders up to $30 he charges $8.99
    Sometimes you can get lucky and score a sale or discount coupon for extra savings!

20. California Cowgirl

and this was on my debit card, i still can't use my credit card, it's officially maxed out, so i've seriously got to cash some savings bonds