1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

plants suggestions for 6.5 ph and 84 temp

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by FishVixen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

My tank has just finished cycling. I would like any suggestions on any live plants that can thrive in low ph and higher temps as I will eventually be getting Angels. I order a plant pkg of this and that mix but i assume less than 50% will survive this water conditions. Hey the pkg was inexpensive so no big lose. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I have had success with all of these

Amazon Swords
    PURPLE Cabomba (not green)
    Stargrass
    Corkscrew Val
    Italian Val
    Jungle Val
    Red Tiger Lotus (if you have a moderate - high light tank)
    Java Fern (if you have a low lit tank)
    Chain Sword
    Red Wendtii
    Java Moss

Actually I find that most any plant works as long as the leaves are heavier and not fine... Acachris for instance WONT live under these condition nor will most plants not listed above that are sold at most chain stores...

Keep in mind also some plants are sold as aquatic but are NOT aquatic... I bought one like this and I cant remember what it was but it didnt live.... Basically the plant will die if it stay submerged regardless of temp.

Also keep in mind that the plants when planted in the aquarium will usually change their leaves, the old ones will die off and new ones will replace the old ones... the new ones look different than the leaves that were on the plant when you bought them... the reason for this is most of the plants sold to LFS are grown in hydroponic systems and never were submerged so the leaves you see are the terrestrial form of them... and when you plant them you get the submerged form...

For example, Amazon Sword Terrestrial form leaves are long and narrow until they come to the tip where they bulge out a bit... the aquatic form looks like a large grass leaf... there is no bulge at the tip, it just tapers to a point. Amazon Sword and all I listed ARE true aquatics.

3. FishVixen

Really appreciate the response. I just assumed most plants would not tolerate these conditions. I was expecting a list of maybe 3 or 4 plants not a long list like you gave. Thanks

PS any place in or near Richmond that has decent plants? I'm on the south side.

4. LemonDiscus

I dont know of any on Southside... I like Fin and Feather on Lakeside Ave for some plants and Azalea Aquariums on the corner of the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and Azalea Ave... Those are my 2 places to get plants and fish here in town.

I NEVER buy from Petco or Petsmart... They are the two NOTORIOUS for selling non aquatic plants.... also you get less for your money... At Fin and Feather I sometimes get one Sword with 4-8 babies on it for 8.99 where at Petsmart its 8.99 for just the one and it is half the size of the ones I get...

5. FishVixen

Thanks for the info.

6. LemonDiscus

No problem!

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Red/Green Tiger Lotus
    Marimo Balls
    Wisteria
    Rotalla Wallichi
    Moneywort
    Java Fern
    Dwarf Onions/Onion Plants
    Java Moss
    Dwarf Sag

8. FishVixen

and I thought I was going to be stuck with only Java, :)

9. LemonDiscus

Some of these plants Dawn and I listed DO require lighting aroun 1.75 - 3 WPG...

Java Fern WILL DIE if you have over 2 WPG IME

I also had/have Micro Sword... Dawn and myself both have had issues with algae growing in it though.... Its a hard plant to keep looking nice... That is why I didnt mention it... It grows fine for me, just that stupid algae growing between the plants that eventually smother them...

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I got this package off ebay
    <a class="postlink" href="http://stores.ebay.com/planted-aquariums-central_Plant-Packages_W0QQ_fsubZ352276017QQ_sidZ328295567QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://stores.ebay.com/planted-aquarium ... ec0Q2em322</a>

the discus one.

all these plants are easy growers. Java fern just plant in a shaded area or tie it off but leave it shaded and it will thrive. I planted mine under the pile of driftwood and by the time the next gravel vac came around i could barely see the wood.

i will watch the micro swords and algae.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

just a warning--vals are flourish excel sensitive
    and with the plants that have the red -- they require higher lighting and definitely benefit from the addition of iron (I used flourish iron)...but give it a go without adding anything at first (might be able to get away with it- and cheaper is always better!).

12. FishVixen

I have 2 sword that are actually growing like weeds The bigger one in 2 weeks already has spouted 5 new leaves. I have been adding reg flourish not excel 1 time a week and have a home made co2 running. Need to upgrade lighting looking into that now. Have a 24" old bulb that came with the tank. I have a 30" wide tank so I need to upgrade.

13. LemonDiscus

I agree with Dawn... and good call on the Java Fern... Odd, as simple as that sounds I never really tried growing it in a shady region... :)

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I grow my light sensitive plants in shade, my corydoras sleep in a massive pile of crypts growing like wildfire in the shade. I have almost thinned out enough to complete my guppy tank and then Ill be offering up the trimmings.

I dont use excel, nope none and never again.

15. LemonDiscus

Crypts are light sensitive too? Hmmm that explains why my patch never got that thick.... They didnt die til I moved them but they dont grow as fast as everyone says...

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

As soon as mine runs out (in the next day or so) I won't be adding anything either. I'm not planning on replacing it and figure what grows...grows...and anything that doesn't/ or looks bad will just be simply plucked!

Clippings usually goto my 10g when I feel spunky enough to plant them....anything seems to grow in them ;)

my crypts were slow growers (planted towards the front where there's a bit less light)...and when moved did die..but came back eventually.

17. FishVixen

what if I leave a 24" just to one side so that way 6" will not have direct light? would that work? Hey I'm a newbie be kind LOL My minds going all over the place. [odd]

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hey, you can give it a whirl.
    alot of great ideas come from experimenting!

19. FishVixen

HHHMMMMM!!!!!!!!! There goes the brain wandering again! LOL Blue led in the 6" space. HHHHMMM!!! Going to build my own hood and lighting system so really having the wheels spinning at the moment. LOLnLuv diy my avatar is one of my home made caves

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Building your own..options are endless.. (can put more bulbs in back and leave opening towards front to create less light in the front for the crypts and lower light plants).

Leds are really nice...I love the coralife 1w lunars...VERY powerful.

I stuck mine on the side of the tank and have it aimed at the back wall (not directly into the tank)...it lights up half the tank with a nice bluey glow...simply incredible! And it throws a cast on my one wall of the fish when they swim through ... totally freaks my dogs out but amuses the heck outta me. LoL