1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

plants with jack dempseys?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by kwheeler91, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

i know that jds will sometimes tear up plants and decorate their tank to their liking, but are there any lowlight/low requirement plants that would be durable enough to take a beating and still look halfway decent?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can't help you there, I had jacks in the past and they tore the tank apart from end to end. They would take the substrate and pile it sky high on one side of the tank and knock decor over that I thought was pretty heavy...so I couldn't imagine plants...unless you get lucky?
    Low Light would be something along the lines of crypts.

3. kwheeler91

thanks for the advice. what do you think about java ferns, they are low light and if they are attached to some mopani do you think they would rip them up?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know you want to hear yes, but with Jacks you'll probably just have to experiment. Ferns are a hardy choice though imo.
    Other than that or crypts I would test Anacharis being they are usually cheap.

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

fake plants?

6. fllszbrnc

fllszbrnc New Member

Maybe try Crinum thaianum or like you said try java fern, anubias nana, and/or Bolbitis heudelotii tied to wood or rock. Java moss works with my peacocks, because it grows faster than they can tear it up.

7. kwheeler91

ill look in to it. my girlfriends dad keeps a dempsey with an oscar and a pleco and the tank has a huge piece of mopani with ferns all over it and they arent tearing it up... but then again it is only 4 inches or so and without a mate