1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

play fetch with your fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by steves_kiki, Aug 12, 2010.

1. steves_kiki

steves_kiki Thread Starter New Member

So I was checking my temps in my baby bearded dragons temp. tank in front of my 50 gallon fish tank with 1 of those laser temp guns and accidentally pointed it towards the fish tank. All of my fish (angels black skirt tetras and even my albino cory) started to chase it! I was very careful not to shine the laser into their eyes or on their bodys, but it was really funny to watch! Anyone ever try this? I know my cats love lasers and sometimes the dogs like them.... I wish I could post a video, but I only have internet on my phone!
    Kin

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never heard of that. I assume the laser is red, which I find odd because fish are supposed to be almost blind to red... That's what I read anyway.

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

We (I should say my daughter actually) plays with the fish all the time with the laser pointer. She'll play with the cats for awhile and then hit the fish tank. It is funny watching them go after that little red dot.

hmmmm....wonder what it looks like to them?

4. nossie

nossie Member

I don't think fish are blind to red, because there are species that are red, and aggressive towards their own kind and/or similarly colored fish.

5. steves_kiki

steves_kiki Thread Starter New Member

Its really kinda funny... I've always heard that albino animals are almost completely blind, but my albino cory chases after the red laser too.... I wouldn't think fish would be color blind due to all the different kinds which use red as a breeding color....for example, barbs, tetras, even wild trout and others! But I was thinking the other day... maybe they think that the red light is a random fish flake? I mean, seriously, I've heard of some smart fish, but how smart can they truly be??
    Kin

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

my albino and tiger oscars will chase after a laser dot, but my jack dempsey dosen't seem to be interested in it. my africans just goes nuts over a laser dot.