1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

pleco and crab

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 15, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

i WISH i had the camera.....

they looked like play buddies. the pleco was laying there eating some stuff off the rocks and the crab was tucked up next to him eating also, sometimes hiding behind the pleco to fight off other fish. i [laughing] 'ed about that site.

the funnest thing was the crab sprinting across the tank chasing one of the little algae eaters.

i just got the crab, and he spends alot of his time in the filter, but today it "came out of his shell" :D now if i could just find the other crab............

[dancing] [3ofus] ;) [lurk] :confused: :( [cussing] [boxing] [bs] [confused] :) :cool: :D :cool: :cool:

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I had a crab many many years ago I would find every morning on the top of the hood and would wave his claw until I came over and hand fed him. Who says our aquatic pets do not have personalities. :)

3. blowfishRus6

haha, thats funny. i bet that was a sight to see.

yea the little guy deffently has some personality. crabs have always seemed kinda intresting to me, just the way they do things. i hope to see more of this guys antics.

would your crab ever leave the tank??? mine goes to the top and gets in the filter, wondering if hes ever gonna fly the coupe because he can get out pretty easy.

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

When I say top I mean on top of the hood outside the tank. He would sit there for an hour then go back into the tank. Yes he loved getting in the filter, I had him for almost a year and one morning found him dead on the floor next to the tank. You never know what they'll do next,

5. blowfishRus6

yea mine can get outside of the tank also. i was just curious if they would leave the tank. but it seems they stay close to the water.

i have even made places to where it can get to the top of the water on ledges and what not. but im trying to keep him in the tank, gotta fix my broken glass peices tho. ill probably just cut some plexy glass out to the size i need and re do it all and get a real tight fit.

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

or use a screen top, gives it the open top surface exchange and keeps things in.

Just an idea. might be cheaper too.

or get a canopy for it or make your own so you can set it higher where it cant get out of the tank.

My son wants fiddler crabs real bad, I think I might set up one of the 15g or 20glongs I got in the shed for him.

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

The screen top is a great idea. You can make one out of plastic craft mesh it's easy to cut for around tubes and filters

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

yep.

I used to keep running water terrariums and they are a must with crawly things, but dont feel bad, I had one of my male bettas think that life was better outside the tank, found him over 6' way from the covered tank the next morning, glass cover, the back had a large hole with a smaller filter. but he got pretty far for a fish.

9. blowfishRus6

screen top is a great idea.

i had a fidler, cool little crab, would wave his big claw around at things. petsmart stoped selling them tho here :/ i wanted another one, my jack dempsy had got ahold of him, only evidence that i found was his big claw.