1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Plumbing issues that would make you cry. Stocking help?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by ontheairship, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ontheairship

ontheairship Thread Starter New Member

I recently bought a 55 gallon drilled tank complete with sump, protein skimmer, lights and wooden stand for an amazing 133 bucks! (love craigslist :p ) Silly me I didn't think to try out the tank before going head first and filling it to the top and sure it enough it started leaking...from everywhere. [banghead]

After 5 days of silicone-ing, replacing bulkhead, replacing pvc, filling/draining, and wanting to kill someone it is finally in working order but I lost a gold striped maroon clown and 2 green chromis in the process. :(

Now I need some advice! I have live rock and sand that has been cycled together in another tank and I don't know how my cycle is going to happen. I had to replace all the water in the leak crisis so it's like starting fresh but not exactly. So I'm wondering what should I expect from my cycle in this situation? :confused:

I'm currently running my sump with live rock rather than bio balls and I'm wondering what you all think about that.

I also have a question about my lights...how good are they?
    I'm running Tek Light 44 T5-HO 54 W fluorescent with 2 actinic + bulbs 1 pure actinic + bulb and 1 aquablue + bulb. Currently only the pure actinic + bulb and aquablue + bulb are coming on. Should I worry about replacing them right away?

Last question/concern is a possible refugium. I have a 10 gallon tank that I also received with the tank and I would like to setup a refugium maybe for some seahorses once my tank is fully established or to grow some copepods for a possible mandarin goby in the future. How exactly would I go about that? I will add pictures tomorrow of my tank and the plumbing to give you all a better idea of my situation.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you! Thanks guys! [bfish] [nemo] :D ;)

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Got to love plumbing just when your sure you have it all worked out something will break or start to drip.

What I hate is went you have a small leak that turn into big leaks when try to stop it

Rick

3. ontheairship

ontheairship Thread Starter New Member

It was fine for about an hour then the bulkheads started leaking. Drained the tank, replaced the bulkheads, filled her back up then the PVC pipes to the sump started leaking. Patched those up and filler her again. The pipes started leaking from different spots. Finally decided to drain her one last time and replace everything and we're finally in working order!