1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Pod Control

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anthony, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

What do I do to keep these guys under control ? It seems like there are hundreds in my tank. There are A LOT of them on the back of the tank where the algae is. My blenny seems to eat them from time to time but he doesn't seem to make a dent in their population.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Why do you want them to go away? They're good to have, most fish will pick at them when they feel like it.

3. Anthony

It's not that I want them to go away, I just don't want my glass to be completely covered with them.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Then use a sponge and clean off your glass ;) hehehe

5. Anthony

I try not to clean the back of the glass so the snails have algae to eat. Is there something that loves to eat these things ?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

well mandarin gobies eat them but you already know about them and your size tank isn't big enough to sustain enough pods for them to eat.

7. Anthony

I've had those guys anyway. :confused:

8. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

CoralBeauties love pods. They will make short work of them.

9. Anthony

What about a Dwarf Flame Angel ?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Fu man chu lionfish

11. Anthony

Pft, lionfish scare me. LoL I will never get one of those guys.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That one is poisonous! Apparently, water changes etc require a thick rubber glove.

13. Anthony

I think I found the answer to my pod population. My Percula Clown has been eating these guys since I put him in the tank. [dancing]

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You need to get a mandarin goby. The only feed on copods. I have them in my tank, and they are beautiful fish, and have lots of color.

T

15. genettico

genettico New Member

Lionfish wont bother with copepods! mAYBE an occassional floating amphipod here and there! Dont be also concerned about your pod population. They are something you want, as they consume incredible amounts of detritus and other algaes. They also serve as a diet suplementation to lots of fish. Dont worry about providing enough algae for your cleaning crew, I have seen your tank, you have enough LR to grow enough algae to all your crew! Go ahead and clean your glass! You can displace some of the population from the glass is by adding some macro algae sheets on the LR for the pods to feed on it!

16. genettico

genettico New Member

Lionfish are poisonous on their spines! If you touch the tips of them you might get stung! No biggie, just put your hand on as hot as you can stand water and this will break the poison appart and you'll be ok! You dont need rubber gloves to do water changes nor to feed them!