1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Poecilia obscura?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by MasterBlue, Mar 17, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I was reading some articles and came across this "new" relative to the guppy. Anyone got any other information on them?
    Anyone got some in there tanks?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As far as I know these guys aren't really available yet. I've asked around and haven't been able to locate anyone with access to them.

4. MasterBlue

I asked AdrianHD, he said very few have made it to Germany. Not exactly an answer I understand the relevance of, but I know most "Fancy" shrimp and in fact Guppies did start there. I guess thats what he means? ( He's in Florida, right? o.o; )

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have no idea what Germany would have to do with anything unless that's a big export point.

Yep, he lives in Florida.

6. MasterBlue

I did some homework, and nearly all the fancy guppies of yesterday, all the fancy shrimp (Cherries, blue pearls, etc), and several other varieties of fish were first developed by german breeders. So that might be what he means?

I find most image searches for them are from Japan...?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Possibly. Google Poecilia obscura and TheExoticFish comes up on the first page. LoL

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

P. obscura male (a) and female (b) from locus typicus, Oropuche River (OR). (c) P. obscura, population Rio Seco (RS); (d) P, reticulata, population Caroni Swamp (CS); (e) P. reticulata, population Rio Yaguaracual (RY); (f) P. cf “wingei” from El Cordon waterfall (EC); (g) P. wingei from locus typicus, population Campoma (Ca); (h) P. wingei, population Laguna de los Patos (LP).

Figured I'd post this here since it was a pretty nice comparison.
    PoeciliaObscura.jpg

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I did some searching and it seems like they have them in Italy.

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Weren't Guppies discovered in Germany or Sweden back in the 17 or 1800's? At least by a person from one of those countries. I know Germans are one of the oldest fish keepers. When I lived in Germany alot of folks had at least 1 tank.

11. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Looks a lot like wild guppies I've seen. Pretty fish though

12. nossie

nossie Member

Actually, there are lots of different tropical fish species that are bred in Germany! Many cichlids for example :) And a few livebearers and such.
    Germany also is a main country for all kinds of manufacturers of aquatic gear, filters, fish foods, water conditioners etc.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually have this fish somewhere there already!