1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Poisonous Algae Catches the Sun's Rays Article

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Sunny skies and no rain. Today's a great day to escape the steaming heat by splashing around at the lake.

    Unfortunately, the perfect weather for you to swim in is also the perfect home for them.


    Blue-green algae are a type of cyanobacteria. Toxic to humans, blue-green algae can poison through the skin, lungs or the stomach.

    A person who has come in contact with blue-green algae will experience a variety of nasty symptoms: stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever and weakness.

    Avoiding getting sick from the bacteria is as easy as avoiding it. Don't swim in fresh water with visible algae. If you take that risk, take a hot shower after swimming.

    Illness from algae exposure hits pets more easily than it hits humans. The algae poisons dogs swimming in, playing in, or drinking the pond water.

    To keep pets healthy, stop them from drinking water with visible algae. If your pet does ingest some tainted water, watch it. If the animal vomits, is weak or has seizures, take it to the vet for treatment.


    Algae growth is a summer problem. The same calm, warm water that calls for you to jump in is also great for blue-green algae to grow in. They flourish in sunlit, stagnant water, floating on the top.

    Like tree leaves and grass, chloroplasts give blue-green algae their color. The bacteria get energy from photosynthesis. During a bloom, a sudden burst of bacteria paints the tops of the lakes and ponds green.

    Some blue-green algae create toxins. When they die, the poisons release into the water. Don't treat pond water with chemicals, because when the algae die, all their toxins will release into the water at once. Instead, wait it out. The algae growth will naturally die out with colder weather and rainy days.

    http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/s ... the-su.asp
  2. MasterBlue

    MasterBlue Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    They also recently traced alzimer's to cynobacteria toxins. Just a thought to toss out there.