1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Pop-Eye Pop-eye

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Front Man, May 26, 2009.

1. Front Man

Front Man Thread Starter New Member

All of a sudden, I have a fossorochromis rostratus female with pop-eye! After much research, I am attempting to save her. She is still eating and acting very normal so I tested the water. I've found the Nitrates at 5.0, Ammonia at .25, Nitrites 0, and ph 7....where did that come from? A 7??? So I did a 50% water change 2 days ago. Retested the following day and Nitrates still at 5.0, Amonia at 0, Nitrites 0, and ph 7.8. So I began to raise the ph by adding baking soda. Female is still eating and acting normal. Today, did a 25% water change and everything is the same except ph - it's back up to 8.2 The female actually looks a little better. Could this work? I am going to continue to do a 25% water change every other day and monitor her status. If she has any changes, I will pull her and isolate her from the others. From what I understand, pop-eye is not contagious. I want to hold off on meds until absolutely necessary. They never seem to work anyways - seems that it inevitably results in death. I'm hoping that it is the poor water that caused this. Any thoughts?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Why are you attempting to keep your pH so high ? With a pH of 7 one day and a pH of 8.2 several days later that will cause the fish a lot of stress and health problems.

To treat pop eye you will want to use Maracyn and Maracyn Two. If it is pop eye you must treat it if you want any hope of saving the fish. Simple water changes will not fix the problem.

3. Front Man

Let me clarify - I'm speaking of high range ph. Africans prefer a high range ph of 8.2

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You posted in the illness section regarding pop eye. pH swings can and will cause stress causing health problems. A STABLE pH is ALWAYS better than one that changes as much as you describe yours as doing.

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Whether this is a pH or illness question I agree with Anthony 100%

6. Front Man

Uh, I do too, that's why I'm trying to get the ph back up to where it WAS! I am sure that this is from the ph not an illness so the advise to treat with antibotics was said in haste. It seems that is done with real doctors and humans as well - just give them a pill and maybe it will go away. Don't bother getting to the root of the problem...thanks.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

At this point the fish has pop eye correct ?

8. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Front Man I'm not sure why you seem to have an attitude but it's not going to help your fish any

Anthony suggested meds because that's the only hope you have at saving the fish at this point

Your pH problem is likely the cause of the stress that allowed the fish to get the infection in the first place

Raising your pH from 7 to 8.2 so quickly was a very bad idea

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How often do you normally do water changes would be helpful with dealing with the pH issue, but again that's an underlying problem that needs a different post.

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Erythromycin, not sure if I spelled it right, will also help with the popeye. Its a four day treatment if you've caught it in time.