1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Pop-Eye popeye on a german blue ram

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by absntmnd69, Mar 29, 2010.

1. absntmnd69

absntmnd69 Thread Starter New Member

1 more treatment to go but the "popeye" is gone and ram is fully colored back up. seems that hes got his life back. hes swimming around like he owns the tank again. erythromycin is a miracle drug if it made the ram beat all of his odds against recovery.

2. absntmnd69

a death has occurred most likely due to the meds in the tank. it was not the affected ram though. i lost a common pleco. i have a feeling that the meds killed the algae. but again they did save my ram.

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I dont think the pleco died of no algae....

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, not that fast.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

My RNP is my 4th dwarf pleco its about 7 months old now. there is barely any algae in the tank due to the SAE's but the RNP eats on the driftwood constantly and has his own special fresh veggies he gets 2-3 times a week.

6. absntmnd69

then what could have killed him? i had a common pleco from the same batch die about 2 weeks ago. i also had an baby albino bristlenose die a week ago. now the last common is gone. all i have now is the gibboceps in the 37 tall, two large gibboceps in the 72 bow, and one baby albino in the 10. there is wood of some kind in every tank (driftwood or bogroot)

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

could be the wood, can be baddies in the substrate bad bacteria ect.

It wasn't the medicine nor the lack of algae thats for sure. you did say same batch, even take into consideration that they can be bad from the start? live for a wee bit then die? internal problems, underdevelopment internally ect. tons of variables but lack of algae is not one of them.

8. absntmnd69

if had those two commons for almost 8 months now. thats why i dont think they were sick from the get go. they werent like my royal that starved in an algae infested tank.

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

It could take up to 8 months for a disfunction of internal organs But you said an albino baby also died sounds like something in the tank IMO. I'm sure you've seen stunted fish that have lived for a couple of years but most die within 6 to 12 months from what I've seen and read.