1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

possible cycle?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by lethalcustoms00, Apr 15, 2010.

1. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Thread Starter Member

Im getting ready to move so i have taken all my mbuna out of the 55 and im going to turn it into my community tank, thats gonna turn 2 tanks into 1. But i have to tak 70 lbs of brown gravel out and replace it with 60 lbs brand new eco complete and tms. I have 2 emporer 400s and a aquatech 40 60 to use on the tank to keep my bacteria, and the plants fron the community tanks also. Im afraid that if i take all the grael ut and put new substrate in, Ill have another cycle, however small and will lose all my fish. If Im using the same filters, and save the water, and dont clean the tank, just temove the ugly brown rock, will i be ok? i need help here

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

You can tie up gravel in nylons/pantyhose and drop them in the tank. When stable just remove the bags. You can hide them behind plants and decorations if you want but there's alot of good bacteria in that gravel that will quickly seed the new set-up. I've done this now with 3 tanks and never lost a fish.

3. lethalcustoms00

now that is a great idea! how long do you usually leave the bags in the tank?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'll have to test your water to be 100% sure when to remove it. I've heard it takes few weeks but I've never done it so I'm not sure.

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

All you are doing is removing the substrate correct? If so then you should be fine, just keep a close eye on your params for a week or two. Adding the old water bak in won't help, you will just be putting dirty water into the tank since the beneficial bacteria are on surfaces not in the water column itself.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

HBIC is correct, the water does not really do much but carry the "nasties" out. I usually leave the bags in for 3 or 4 weeks by that time a pretty good bacteria colony has set up in the tank. also transfer any decorations as they have good bacteria also, even if you don't want them in the new set up tuck them in a corner somewhere.

7. lethalcustoms00

thats all very good to know, i think ill be alright now.

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

anytime.