1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

oh no, lol i misread the question :p hehe but before i get endlers/ any other kind of fish the frogs will be moved into the 5 gallon hex so if they are possibly causing the tank problem the fish wouldn't be harmed, especially if i order online, i want all the fish to live

2. California Cowgirl

haha, lol ok, 5 gallon hex will be the 5 frogs and plants. and 10 gallon, will be my current fish plus some endlers or some other small fish like guppies or mepm tetras

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I feel better now, Thank Cowgirly....5 is perfect for the 5 frogs, few plants, and tiny caves (your pots on their sides).
    10g would be sweet with 3 corydoras' and some smaller fish as you said (neons/guppies/endlers). You may want to keep an eye on the variatus..they can be chasey at times...specially if it's a male.

4. California Cowgirl

ok, i think i will do that :D once i pay off some of my bills i'll have a bit of money left over then i can start on a planted tank for my 5 gallon, buy some cheap plants, maybe a small piece of driftwood, or move the pots into the 5 gallon. And thanks for the headsup about the variatus, i have no idea if it's a male or not, but i did notice it didn't do anything to my other fish in the tank when i had a few neon's and my killie fish. And if i like the looks of the 5 gallon planted when it's i get started on it, i would probably turn my 10 gallon into a planted if i have a little bit of money left over

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

that sound like a set I'm doing, move a tetra that is mean as hell to a one gallon tank by him self (beside the snails in there.) and add guppies to my 20 gallon.

6. California Cowgirl

so i would be able to get 2 more cory's in my 10 gallon, and a few small fish when i get the frogs to the 5? or just 3 corys alone? Also i don't really know anything about endlers, so any idea if they like a small school of like 6 or 8? or would i be able to split it up with possibly like 2 endlers, 2 neons, and 2 guppies?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

OK one try not to put pure endlers with guppies, they can mate with one another making you endler babies hybrids which could have some side effect to the offspring. endler if there like guppies should have a male to female ratio.

the Ratio should be 1 male to 2 or more females.

Neon and other tetra should really be in schools of 4 or 5 min. so for a 10 gallon I would just go with one breed of fish.

or if you could do a male mix of guppies and endlers.

8. California Cowgirl

ok, i think at petsmart i saw some endlers with their guppies, they were very bright colors, and looked differnet from the guppies. And if they are like guppies. the site that has the males for pretty cheap says the females are hard to find and are selling them like 10 dollars, where as males as like 2 dollars. so i would probably have to do a mix of guppies and endlers

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Cory's need to be in groups (their social)...I'd say 3 for your size tank (10g) is a good number for AFTER you get the froggers out. ANthony is the endler expert (but their basically a guppy) and you should be able to mix them with guppies if you want them to intermix. Personally I'd go for just male guppies (females will provide too many babies for your tank to handle), being that they are the ones who truly have all the color. Neons/guppies/endlers/corydoras should all get along.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would make sure it a all male tank. I read some where that it was common for there to be more males then female on the market when they are a new breed or strain, that way the first breeders and make good money off the strain or breed.

I also read that most breeder hold a good number of the females back in order to have a higher offspring possible.

11. California Cowgirl

ok awesome, i'm not sure if i want to try neon tetra's again after how they all suddenly died/dissapeared on me, (could have been the frogs). And i really think petsmart did have the endlers mixed in with the guppies, so i could get a few of those, i really want a small amount of schooling fish, if i plan my tank right would i be able to put like 2 or 3 neons in the mix, especially if i turn to planted, and there would be enough swimming room in the middle and a good amount of plants for hides?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

schools work best with a minimum of 4 or 5 fish. however I think you might be able to get a way with 3.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

In the 10g you could do 3 corydoras, 4 male guppies/endlers, and say about 4-5 neons.
    Although I think it would be prettier to do 3 corydoras of your liking and a school of neon tetras (say about 10 )....and then of course the plants like you wanted to try down the line. Neons are really pretty when schooled.

14. California Cowgirl

ok, when my tank is ready i'll probably try first the endlers, guppies, and corys and then if it looks like there might be room and not to overcrowded i may add the neons

15. California Cowgirl

ok, i do like the albion corys, my current one is so active and really fun to watch because of it, my only problem with the neons is how delicate they are, but with my little frogs out of the tank, they might do better on the second try, would the corys work ok with plants, especially with how active this little guy is

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Good Good. She'll be great with 3 on the corydoras (I've grouped in 3 before in a 10 gallon and all did fine...happily grazing among the substrate for yummy nooks and crannies that were missed by the fish above).
    Just make sure your dealing with MALES on those guppies and endlers (unless you want to deal with tons of babies that you won't have room for--also leading to fluctuation within your water parameters as a result of the extra fish/birth).
    Get a feel for how the tank will look at that point and give them some time to stabalize...then as you said you can always go and get some tetras if you feel it looks too empty. I know it's hard to not be tempted to add alot to a 10gallon, but if you don't want to deal with constantly replacing your fish and finding this one or that one dead...I'd stay lowly stocked.

17. California Cowgirl

ok, will deffiently keep that in mind, would live plants help my tank more and make it more stable than it is at the moment?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It will help keep your nitrate down because that one of the things it use to grow, and it also add oxygen to the tank, other then it make your fish feel more at home and safe I'm not sure of other befits.

19. California Cowgirl

ok :D and i guess that's always good to have in a small tank

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The only thing I would really use a 10 gallon for is to raise my fry.